Chapter XLIV

Westminster Palace, London

Isabel stopped when she heard her niece's cries. She turned on her heels and went to discover what could have possibly caused the eight-year-old girl to cry. She came upon her standing, her tiny fists at her eyes, trying to rub the tears away. Edward was kneeling before her trying to comfort her.

"I am alright, my princess," the king said gently. "I know it looks bad, but I promise I am fine."

"But — you — got — hurt!" The little girl gasped out.

"It was just an accident in the battle," he assured her. "It isn't likely to happen again."  He stroked the girl's ebony hair. "It doesn't hurt, I promise."

"But Grand-mèrè isn't here to kiss it better! And Mama — is — gone — so she can't kiss it !" Lily wailed.

"I have you," Edward said cheerfully. "I have no need of any other lady but you, my sweet girl."

Lily sniffed. "I can kiss it better?"

"I am sure my nose will feel as good as new if you kiss it better."

Lily sniffed again and pressed her tiny lips to her father's nose.

Edward scooped the girl into his arms and lifted her up. "A miracle!" he exclaimed.  "I am reborn into a better knight!" Lily began to giggle. "We must keep it a secret, my girl, for your power is great and  Europe is not ready for it."

Lily continued to giggle and wrapped her arms around the king's neck, looking very much like a daughter content in her father's arms and Isabel's heart ached, for her sister deserved to be here with her children.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Charlotte felt sick and for the first time since she had found out she was with child, she knew for certain that it wasn't because of her pregnancy. The mahogany door in front of her not only seemed gigantic but also the sight of it filled her with dread.

Placing her hand upon her bump and feeling the flutters beneath her hand, she felt slightly comforted. The seconds seemed to go by agonizingly slowly but before she knew it, the doors began to open, signaling her entrance.

As she made her way into the great hall, she couldn't help but try and ignore the muttering and whispering coming from the people around her. Her walk faltered slightly as she registered what the people around her were calling her.

However, at the end of the Great hall, she not only noticed Richard standing next to Edward and Elizabeth but also George. Richard seemed to give her a reassuring smile, one that was becoming more familiar by the day.

Her protruding stomach made her usually graceful curtsey slightly unsteady and she needed to shift her legs a little before bending her knee, her skirts pooling around her as she looked up at Edward.