Chapter XIX

"Edward," Charlotte cried out softly, finding herself smiling at the sight, despite what she had just said

She glanced over at Marie, just before running out of the nursery. She ran as fast as her legs could take her without tripping over the rugs and stairs.

Charlotte ran down the stairs, skipping steps and all. She sprinted toward the door before fleeing the castle. She ran down the dirt road, stopping when Edward climbed off his horse.

He was still holding his sword in his hand, and there were drops of blood on his armor, but Charlotte didn't care, she was just glad to see him.

He immediately dropped his sword and walked forward, cupping her cheek in his hands as he stared at her with love shining in his eyes. It was as if the sight of the woman he loved made all his troubles disappear from his mind all at once.

"Charlotte?" He called out softly, affectionately stroking her face with his fingers, as if he did not truly believe she was there.

Charlotte stared up at him, her eyes wide. She couldn't believe she was actually seeing him. After so long, she was actually seeing him and being held by him. She didn't know whether to be angry or happy.

"I'm here, mon cheri," Charlotte spoke in a whisper, not daring to smile just yet.

Edward smiled gratefully, wasting no time leaning forward to smash his lips against hers. She responded eagerly, parting her lips and allowing his tongue to enter her mouth as his hands lifted her body and she wrapped her arms around his neck while his hands went to her own waist.

She didn't want this moment to end. She didn't want to ever be parted from him.

They did have to part, though, and Edward held her close to his body. Charlotte's face leaned against his shoulder, feeling safe and comfortable.

Edward set her down after a long moment, cupping Charlotte's face in his hands. "This is like a dream," he confessed, laughing in relief, "I cannot believe this is real, but it is indeed."

Edward looked down, his eyes widening comically when he saw Charlotte's slim stomach.

"Our son —" He began to say, a concerned look on his face.

"Our daughter, is alive and well. She is beautiful and strong," Charlotte informed Edward, both of them beginning to smile. "She looks like a true York rose."

"I must see her," Edward insisted, a determined look on his face.

Edward grabbed Charlotte's hand, walking toward the castle without a care in the world. He didn't care if the servants saw him. They wouldn't dare speak of what they saw, they were loyal to Charlotte, not Warwick, after all. And, if by some reason, one actually spoke to Warwick, they could spin it to their benefit and announce their marriage.