11. here's to the losers

"Here's the last toast of the evening, here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers shall receive."

//

Namjoon enjoys getting paid to listen. after all, he trained to listen in such a specific, powerful way so that people change.

changing for the better is an option he never saw as possible until he started to help mentally ill people. his education came in handy and before he knew it, he was the one with the listening ear, small smiles and healing heart.

the man's day runs like this: he walks into his practice, makes himself a strong dose of coffee before adjusting his documents. he tucks a pen behind his ear and opens the door to his first client. throughout the day, he hears a bunch of stories laced with the struggles and quality of disorder filled life. it ranges from schizophrenia, marriage difficulties and homosexuality. regardless of the story, the situation, the disorder, he is equal in his style. 

after each client has passed through his treatment doors, they usually come back the next week. his clients usually stay with him for months before they part ways, on the client's accord.

high on caffeine, Namjoon moves to close the front door. a figure captures his attention, making him stop midway. he wants to immediately lock up and go home. he'd rather be in his lonely apartment right now and that says a lot.

the figure steps into the street light, showing his face. Jung Hoseok is one of Namjoon's many clients– he's a man with failed dreams and anxiety. he talks about what his life could've been but never makes the effort to change anything. he nags Namjoon in every hour he gets paid for– there's a great lack of conscious decision making.

Namjoon sighs, melanin skinned hands slipping into his pocket trousers. his simple attire of a black button up tucked into grey, tailored trousers with silver lines striking down– he shivers in the dark evening of the Friday.

he steps outside, holding the door open behind him as he gazes at Hoseok with a sad look. he has to turn him away, he doesn't like having to follow the professional rules. "we have a session tomorrow." the therapist states, feeling the cold air prick the skin on his lower arms. "you know you can't be here outside of our assigned appointments." he says gently.

Hoseok's expression remains the same– unbothered, worried and blank. his physical language however, sparks off anxiety. Namjoon's therapist persona quickly picks up on how he fidgets, feeling bad within himself, therefore, reflecting onto his outside world. "what am i supposed to do when our sessions are over?" Hoseok asks lowly.

"you're doing really well for yourself." Namjoon encourages the younger boy– truth is, they don't have a huge age gap. nevertheless, a protective and brotherly component takes over Namjoon every time he sees Hoseok. he can't take action on it though. "i can see the therapy has had a positive impact on you. that's great news."

"that's really nice." Hoseok nods, scruffy boot hitting a rock that disappears into the dusky shadows of the evening. Namjoon recognises his boots– they're the same shoes that bring dirt into his office every week. "i'm glad because i can feel the change."

Namjoon sighs at the sight of Hoseok– rubbed eyes, lanky figure and a worn out heart. they're both just as lonely as each other aren't they?

"fuck it..." Namjoon mutters under his breath, waving his hand before meeting the younger boy's gaze. he sighs loudly. "would you like to come in for a drink before i close up for the day?"

Hoseok nods, hiding his smile.