17. the shadow of your smile

"Our wistful little star. It was far, too high. A teardrop kissed your lips. And so, so did I."

//

a survival anthem rings in Taehyung's ears.

he walks with a brewing storm in each of his polished shoes. he's not angry, he's just high on survival, trouble and determination. his legs move swiftly– covered in his favourite pair of black trousers, tailored to his needs. his blazer is mismatching due to its differing shade of black. the trilby hat is also a different shade of black, covering his oily hair but enough to hide his eyes away.

he swipes his tongue over his lips as he avoids people who recognise him on the streets. he politely smiles, walking faster than usual as he slides into the apartment complex. now that he's been here more often– people have started to gaze with wide eyes, just in case they could get a glimpse of the Kim Taehyung. the voice.

as the glass doors shut behind him, Taehyung feels his throat tighten due to the coldness that he just walked through. he takes a moment to breathe– ignoring the curious eyes all still watching him.

he shrugs out his shoulders, running his hands down his face before stepping into the rusty elevator that looks more presentable than the apartment rooms. he stands inside, leaning his back against the carpet textured walls as he sighs quietly.

the evening sun has set now and when he steps outside again, it'll be pitch black. just as the elevator doors open, he drops the ring he was playing with to the floor. he quickly grabs it, unintentionally pushing past an old woman. seconds later, his hand is knocking against an apartment door.

Crema's neighbour opens her door, Gaia in her arms. the middle aged lady looks as if she's slept a million years. Taehyung remembers Crema mentioning her unemployment and undiagnosed depression. "hi ma'am. i'm here to pick up Gaia on behalf of her mother." Taehyung greets immediately– swiping his polite, people smile over his lips. please let this work, he thinks.

"sorry?" Crema's neighbour blinks. "no one told me anything."

Taehyung sighs, slipping a ten dollar bill into the palm of her hand at the same time he cradles Gaia securely. it seems like his neighbour appreciates the slight hand caress rather than the actual money.

fifteen minutes later, Taehyung's convertible is parked outside of his best friend's apartment. at the sound of the door knock, black haired, lazily dressed Yoongi appears with smoked lungs and bothered eyes. he raises his brows in question.

"what is it—" Yoongi doesn't get a chance to finish his annoyed question because a child is shoved into his arms.

he jolts, surprised as he attempts to hold the unfamiliar human being. Taehyung smiles at the sight before him. Gaia fidgets, small, excited hands grabbing onto his grey, nightwear shirt. he simply blinks at her. what is he going to do with a small child?

"look after the child will you?" Taehyung steps away, pointing at Gaia.

"at least tell me her name before you go." Yoongi shouts, looking utterly terrified with Gaia in his arms. he holds on tightly– afraid of messing up. his black eyes have never looked softer.

Taehyung, not having heard his question– chuckles loudly at the sight of his usually fearless best friend. he acts like he dislikes children but it's obvious that's a lie. from the way he seems astonished by a stranger, by an oblivious child smiling at him.

she's so light, he thinks.

Yoongi sighs, closing the door with his leg. "what's your name?" he asks Gaia, voice sweeter and softer than his usual, deep, low voice.