xxiii. swinging on a star

➳ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕝𝕖𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕓𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕓𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕜𝕖𝕪𝕤

NOVEMBER 12th, 1955

THE SATURDAY MORNING seemed forever to arrive for Donna who awoke early that morning for no particular reason other than the inability to successfully stay asleep. Expecting either a lecture from her parents the minute she went down the stairs left her to hide in her room for as long as she could before having to face anyone. In the midst of brushing her hair out in the vanity with the record player faintly going off on her copy of a 45'' featuring Sway by Dean Martin, as it had now gotten completely muddled with the image of her friend of which led her to only want to hear this, the faint tapping of her window continued to persist.

Having initially mistaken this over the grain from playing the vinyl she took the needle off to place the sound from the window instead. Checking the clock again to see it was still fairly early in the morning she opened up just in time to avoid the rock now being tossed past her shoulders. Looking over to Marty raising his hands in defense and letting go of the rest of the rocks in his hands she huffed in defeat before smiling over to him. "I'm still half-asleep and I've gotta meet with Lorraine in a few."

"I thought we could spend the morning together?"

Continuing to laugh over this unsurprised as he shrugged his shoulders over the idea Donna continued to lean out over the window pane. "Marty, honestly, we've got all. . ."

"Donna, are you up?"

Fearfully turning back to the door she had forgotten to barricade, Marty looked past her shoulders to the voice of the woman he also heard. "Should I introduce myself to the folks?" Shooting him a look over the joke being ill-timed he nodded frantically. "I'll try to catch you before the dance." Shutting the window and pushing past the curtains again the bedroom door soon revealed her mother in the midst of a prepared speech before noticing where her daughter was.

Silently awaiting an answer, Donna opened the window as if it were her first time in the morning doing so. "Just woke up a few minutes ago and wanted to let in some air—"

"You came home from the Freeman's late last night."

"I lost track of the time and Babs and I were watching a show on their television. I'm sorry," Donna spoke without taking too much time to think of a response knowing fully well her mother would question her truth.

The woman leaned against the door, arms folded for her to realize there was to be a lecture to follow anyways. "After this dance of yours tonight, I want you back to how you were before this week. Following your curfew, staying home for family dinners, acting like a proper young woman that you already ought to be. Is that understood?"

Withholding her frustration with these guidelines she simply stared at her mother without speaking a word. Such only lasting until the woman stepped forward causing for Donna to flinch out of reaction as she repeated herself. "Yes, mother." Nodding as if she had successfully proven that she was to follow willingly with whatever was asked, her mother then left her alone to her room again to make anything to pick herself seem as though it were just as useless.

Dressing herself and skipping out on breakfast to walk over to Lorraine's house earlier than she was expected for them to pick up their dresses at Ruth's shop, she tucked her hands into her pockets. Thinking it best to waste away her time walking as opposed to riding her bike this time around Donna tried to let the lingering thought of her mother constantly looking over shoulder pass her and instead to the cheerful mood she had when she started the day. "A queen should always walk with a trusty guard."