x. when day is done

➳ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕘𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕠𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕟𝕖𝕤

NOVEMBER 8th, 1955

THE QUARET of girls that consisted of Lorraine, Donna, Betty, and Babs had constantly grown up with the other just a few blocks down their whole lives. If something happened to one of them, it's only be a matter of seconds out of intuition for the other to pick it up. Even as the time passed their behaviors towards a new crush on a boy or a particularly bad lecture from their parent could easily be read by one of the members in the group.

The easiest to read being none other than Lady Walsh.

Riding their bikes out together this morning since she'd gotten up earlier this time around, Betty turned over to her friend with her brows still coarsly knit together. "What'd your parents do now?"

"School wouldn't be done if I have to list every little thing out for you," Donna joked before heaving a deep sigh. Knowing she couldn't very well admit a boy of all things coming by her house last night, especially it being the very one that her friend just so happened to be infatuated with, she decided to focus on a more superficial matter. "I don't know if I'm gonna go to the dance. They said if they don't like whoever I bring that I can't go. Figures they wouldn't just let me go without a date. Far too progressive for them, apparently."

Gasping on the bike, she turned back to her friend dumbfounded. "But we're supposed to go out and pick our dresses soon, what do you mean?"

"I'm gonna do my best but I can't make any promises." She heaved a deep breath over the painstaking struggle of such a simple task. "Any boy I bring over they'll assume is a complete recluse."

Her friend smirked over this, turning to face ahead again. "Speaking of which, you know Lorraine has completely convinced herself that that new boy is gonna ask her. Oh, you know the one." Babs stopped to exaggerate their friend's impersonation whenever she was awestruck talking about him now. "Calvin."

Having heard a different take and not wanting to be the one to hurt her feelings, Donna still held out the hope that things would work in Lorraine's favour one way or the other. "She's easily distracted, give her until the dance is over to get back to her usual self."

Hinting the annoyance despite her usual chipper tone being prominent, Donna and Babs soon arrived up to the front of the school. Tying up their bicycles on the racks she continued to raise a brow out of interest to the girl beside her. Being too preoccupied on getting the lock right she didn't notice this until lifting herself up to the sight of her friend carefully scanning her. Uncomfortably she adjusted the books in her hands with a pout. "What happened?"

"I can't tell you exactly, it's confusing even me." Babs tilted her head and seized the opportunity to mock her friend. Finding it strange she was avoiding details into their first encounter, even with Donna doing this out of the coincidences that came before and after the meeting at Lorraine's house, the brunette was persistent on getting some sort of answers on the matter.

"Never did say what happened at that dinner? I mean, did you get a chance to talk to him?"

Catching on to what she was playing at she shook her head. "Don't go making up things that are far from the truth, alright? I barely know much about him, just like you." The statement wasn't entirely a lie. There was much Donna still didn't know about Marty. One of them being why he was strangely overbearing in regards to setting up George and Lorraine. The other with herself so easily helping him in spite of it.