v. hello, sailor

➳ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕠𝕓𝕝𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝕓𝕪 𝕒𝕫𝕥𝕖𝕔 𝕔𝕒𝕞𝕖𝕣𝕒

"SO TELL ME Marty, how long have you been in port?" Lorraine's mother asked, Donna turning to her friend eagerly following behind the stranger currently confused by the question.

Taking the initiative to grab her while her mother was distracted, she knit her brows over what she had heard prior to the woman's interruption. "Lorraine, honestly!"

"I told you! Isn't he dreamy?"

Realizing she wasn't going to get anywhere with this Marty near her she huffed and nodded in approval instead despite Lorraine continuing to not pay her any attention. Stella stopped from her questions to turn towards her husband fiddling behind the television set they'd recently gotten today. "Sam, here's the young man you hit with your car. He's all right, thank God."

"What were you doin' in the middle of the street? A kid your age," Sam spoke instead of apologizing for hitting him in the first place.

Donna smiled over Stella's reaction to this as she turned back to the teenagers standing behind her. "Don't pay attention to him, he's in of his moods. Sam, quit fiddling with that thing. Come in here to dinner."

Stella came up behind Lorraine's youngest siblings, introducing themselves to the newest arrival to Hill Valley. Donna watched on unfazed to take her seat beside Loraine like she always did. Looking back to her friend not drifting away from eye contact and allowing the boy to breathe, she slumped in her chair over having to sit next to her in this state. "Well Marty, I hope you like meat loaf and Donna here is the sweetest pastry chef around so you can settle into her chocolate chip cookies later."

"Well that all sounds nice, but I really oughta—" Donna jumped over the sound of Lorraine pushing out the seat for the sailor in the middle of his sentence. Watching his discomfort over her friend trying too hard to win him over, she hid her smile to quietly thank Lorraine's mother for the compliment.

Sam then came in rolling the television set to sit at the head of the dinner table, everyone seeming to be amazed by this aside from the troubled boy on Lorraine's side. Saying her grace silently as if her parents were subtly watching to make sure she remained proper outside of their household before taking a biscuit from the table, Donna looked over to Lorraine continuing to stare out to the boy openly at the dinner table. "Do you have a television?"

"Well, yeah, ya know, we have two of 'em," Marty answered, seeming to choke on the words in regret from Donna's perspective.

Thinking this idea foolish, it was no surprise to see her brother Milton now perking up over the very idea. "Wow! You must be rich!"

"Oh honey, he's teasing you. Nobody has two television sets," Stella told the young boy in order to get the fantasy out of his thoughts no doubt.

Nudging her friend, Lorraine finally broke away from her stare to acknowledge the girl beside her. Looking to her father worriedly over her hearing this she bent her head low to avoid him listening in. "You gonna let him breathe anytime soon?"

"Aw, c'mon, lady! Could you blame me?" She then reverted back to the longing look for her friend to laugh over this and return back to eating dinner.

Marty, on the other hand, was currently seeking out his attention to the episode on the small frame of the television. Recognizing it to be an episode he'd watched with his own family he gestured out to the set excitedly. "Hey, hey, I've seen this one. I've seen this one. This is a classic! This is uh, where Ralph dresses up as a man from space." Finding the comment strange, Lorraine's brother questioned him on the opposite side. Forgetting that he was in fact in 1955 still, he soon became aware of the mistake he'd made by asking this. His excitement in seeing the episode fleeting with this. "Yeah, well, I saw it on a re-run."