xxix. we'll meet again

➳ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕚 𝕔𝕒𝕟 𝕕𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞, 𝕔𝕒𝕟'𝕥 𝕚? 𝕓𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤 𝕤𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕤

IN A RUSH to get their friend to the courthouse on time left for those in the car to ignore the storm that was evidently coming their way. The skies had thickened with the dark cloud, meaning that it was only a matter of time before it was to be pouring rain. Donna, however, was more concerned of the fact that she had to be punctual. If she didn't get there in time, that was it. Marty would be gone for good and she was going to be left here reflecting on all of their interactions in wonder of how one was able to move past an experience like this. But she couldn't focus on that now, she had to hope that it would work out in the end.

Looking up from the back seats to the see the great shadow of the clock tower now illuminated from the strike of lighting from a distance, Donna went to open the doors of the car with haste. Shutting it behind her with the rain already pouring over her she squinted through the droplets coming down to her friends. The umbrella Babs having given her only doing so much as to keep the rest of her dry from the wind still pointing the rain in her direction. "Get home, the storm is going to get worse and I don't need you all getting hurt."

"Nah only one of us can get into trouble tonight," Babs told her. She nodded confidently, holding the umbrella tightly to run off in the direction of the clock tower.

The girls waved out a hand as the car left in the direction for their neighborhoods. "Good luck, Lady." Donna turned to see their hands waving out the window and smiled before rushing along. Being pulled back every so often from the weather she continued on determined to eventually arrive. Looking around confused and panting for breath, the storm behind her only continued to grow worse.

"Donna?!" Hearing her name called she looked around confused, not finding a person in sight. "What are you doing, get back home!"

Realizing the voice was coming from above her she looked up to the clock of the courthouse. Fixing her umbrella Donna found it to be Dr. Brown now leaning on the edge of the building in a desperate attempt to maintain his balance. "Mr. Brown!" She attempted to yell above the storm. Though considering his presence she assumed that, quite possibly, it had been too late. Her eyes scanned the area briefly to see no other individual in sight. Marty wasn't here, only the scientist barely hanging on above her. "Do you need help?!"

The man waved a hand in an attempt to get her away, but she was now too stubborn to go anywhere else. "Never mind that, go home! The storm—" Donna watched him turn back to the clock, screaming instead to himself instead of trying to warn her again. This left her to rush over to the side of the road where the Paccard Marty had driven before during the week was situated. Looking through to not find anything that proved to be a sign of him she sunk her shoulders in defeat.

"I came too late," She muttered the words under breath, slowly losing the grip on her umbrella as the weight of the statement sunk in. Hearing the sound of a car in the distance broke her away from her thought to look from where she was on the sidewalk and instead to where it was coming from. Seeing the headlights breaking out from the rain pouring down she shielded her eyes again from the harsh weather.

The metal vehicle came speeding regardless with a wired hook hanging out at the end of it. She assumed it was some sort of car. Though judging from the bits of appearances she could make out it seemed like something on the front of a science fiction comic.

Suddenly a crack sounded to have her attention go up to the clock tower again. With sparks flying on either side of the guiding she watched the lightning travel through a connection that seemed to be made for it. These only being but seconds of her internal thoughts coming up before the wire hanging off the vehicle hooked onto another wire from above to instantaneously disappear in front of her eyes.