Acceptance

Hello everyone. I thought it was important to put a special author's note before this chapter because of the heavy and potentially triggering material it covers. There will be homophobia and attempted suic*de in this chapter. If this triggers you or is in any way detrimental to your wellbeing, please do not read this chapter. I want y'all to take care of yourselves, and especially your mental health.

~~~

Soon enough, it was time to return to Hogwarts. Cassius had shown up at Ursula's house two days after New Year's, and had been staying with her ever since. He had come out to his father and it had gone... less than well. Cassius hadn't been disowned, but his father wouldn't even speak to him. After a day of complete silence Cassius had left, and no one outside of his friends knew.

His father's cold response was taking a toll on Cassius. He was losing sleep and had retreated from his usual jolly personality to a more grim shell of himself. Ursula was glad that he was staying with her, because she could make sure he was eating and sleeping and generally taking care of himself.

"Cassius!" called Ursula. "Are you ready to go?"

Cassius came down the stairs, carrying Poppy's cage and his trunk.

"I'm here," he said. "Thanks again for letting me stay."

"Don't mention it," said Ursula. "Go ahead and Apparate to the station, and I'll meet you there."

When Ursula arrived at King's Cross a few minutes later, she could tell that Cassius had looked around hopefully to see if his father was there, without any luck.

"The next move is his," she reminded him. "Come on, let's find the others."

The train ride back to Hogwarts seemed to cheer Cassius up a bit, and the Slytherins spent most of that evening in the most unexciting of ways: finishing their neglected homework from over the break in the library while the sky grew dark outside of the mullioned windows. Other students, mostly fifth and seventh years, sat at lamp-lit tables nearby, noses close to books, quills scratching feverishly. The only other sound was the slight squeaking of one of Madam Pince's shoes as the librarian prowled the aisles menacingly, breathing down the necks of those touching her precious books.

When at last they had finished, the seventh years trudged back to their common room, feeling like their impending NEWTs, despite being months away, were practically on top of them. Ursula got no emotional relief, however, as the very next morning she received a terrible piece of news.

At breakfast, Ursula unrolled her copy of the Daily Prophet, scanning the front page for the most interesting articles.

Her eyes landed at once on the snarling picture of Antonin Dolohov, alongside nine other faces, and then flicked back to the headline.

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN

MINISTRY FEARS BLACK IS "RALLYING POINT"

FOR OLD DEATH EATERS

All of the goblets within six feet of Ursula shattered, dousing a number of students in whatever they had been attempting to drink.

Splutters of complaints and protests arose among the affected students.

"Get over it," snapped Ursula. With a wave of her wand the goblets reformed, but it was Lilian, seated next to her, who dried everyone off.

Ursula picked up her bag and slung it over her shoulder as she stood up and strode out of the Great Hall, abandoning breakfast, for she had just lost her appetite. Lilian hurried after her.

"You okay?" she asked worriedly, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Fine," said Ursula. Lilian snorted.

"I've known you too long to take 'Fine' as an answer. Are you okay?"