The Death Eaters' Return

"What?" whispered Ursula into Hadrian's shoulder. If not for his arms around her, her legs would've given out and she would've collapsed.

"He's dead," repeated Hadrian quietly, his voice blank with shock.

"He — he can't be," she murmured. "No..."

She shuddered against Hadrian's chest. She could feel him trembling with shock, with adrenaline, with sheer horror at what had happened.

"Gibbon's dead too," said Hadrian. "Thorfinn killed him by accident."

Ursula didn't dare ask about the Order. She only wondered where the other Death Eaters were, as they were not back yet. She did not wonder long, however, for soon they entered her house, talking and laughing in seemingly high spirits despite the loss of one of their own, and all covered in blood. Thorfinn Rowle dropped a large bag on the ground with a heavy thump, and Ursula almost vomited, knowing what was inside.

"You did well!" said Thorfinn in a booming voice, clapping a hand on Hadrian's shoulder. "Your father would be proud."

Hadrian managed a grim nod. To Ursula's utter relief, her aunt Bellatrix blocked Greyback from entering the house, so covered in blood and Merlin knew what else as he was. Ursula was so grateful she could have cried. She turned her head into Hadrian's shoulder and murmured, "Get them out."

Hadrian suggested that they call it a night and the other Death Eaters agreed, some more easily than others. Julian Avery, sporting a nasty gash across the bridge of his news, got Felix Rosier to fix it so he wouldn't alarm his wife when he returned home. Edwin Yaxley didn't look his father in the eye as he left. Ursula promised Draco that she would see him in the morning, then sent him home with Narcissa, Bellatrix leaving as well. At last it was just her, Hadrian, and Cassius.

"You okay?" asked Hadrian, reaching out to grab Cassius's hand. Cassius nodded, letting out a shuddering breath. Ursula reached up and wiped a streak of blood off his cheek.

"Let's get the two of you cleaned up," she said, pushing Cassius into a chair.

"I don't want to get blood on your furniture," he protested, as Ursula did the same to Hadrian.

"It's much too late to worry about that," said Ursula, clucking her tongue worriedly. She summoned a basin of warm water and a clean rag, and began to wipe off Cassius's face, pointing her wand at each little cut.

"That's not a new cut," said Cassius, wincing and grabbing Ursula's wrist as she pointed her wand at a scar on the side of his face.

"That's what I was worried about," she murmured. She healed a cut on Cassius's arm that she could see through the torn fabric of his black robes then moved onto Hadrian. "Your turn."

Hadrian groaned and tilted his head forward, revealing a nasty cut beside his ear, but Ursula didn't flinch. She simply sighed, pressed the cloth to the cut, and then healed it with a flick of her wand. When she was done, she eyed both men critically to make sure she hadn't missed anything.

"Sorry about the blood on the upholstery," said Hadrian as he rose to his feet, gesturing to a nasty stain left behind.

"It's fine," said Ursula. "You're fine, and that's all that matters."

"Will I see you tomorrow?" asked Hadrian. Ursula nodded.

"I think we ought to," she replied. She turned to Cassius. "Take care of yourself, do you hear me?"

"I'll try my best," promised Cassius. He and Hadrian left, and Ursula slumped into one of her now-bloodstained chairs.

She didn't know what to do. She just couldn't believe Dumbledore was dead. All her planning, all her work to keep him constantly aware of what was going on... she never believed it could happen. It felt like a failure, on a personal level. But she knew it wasn't. The bigger question was how she was possibly going to explain this. If anyone knew Draco was there, and she didn't see how they couldn't, she would be cast under suspicion. There was only one thing to do.