OWLs

The castle grounds were gleaming in the sunlight as though freshly painted; the cloudless sky smiled at itself in the smoothly sparkling lake, the satin-green lawns rippled occasionally in a gentle breeze: June had arrived, but to the fifth years this meant only one thing: Their O.W.L.s were upon them at last.

With only two weeks until their exams and no more Quidditch to practice, the fifth years spent all of their free time studying for their OWLs. As though to underline the importance of their upcoming examinations, a batch of pamphlets, leaflets, and notices concerning various Wizarding careers appeared on the tables in the Slytherin common room, along with yet another notice on the notice board, which read:

CAREER ADVICE

All fifth years will be required to attend a short meeting

with their Head of House, in which they will be given the

opportunity to discuss their future careers. Times of

individual appointments are listed below.

Ursula looked down the list at half past eleven on Tuesday, which was during her free period when Lilian had Muggle Studies. She and the other fifth years spent the rest of the afternoon poring over the pamphlets provided to see what interested them.

"Well, I don't fancy Healing," said Adrian. He was immersed in a leaflet that carried the crossed bone-and-wand emblem of St. Mungo's on its front. "It says here you need at least an E at NEWT level in Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I mean... blimey... Don't want much, do they?"

"Well, it's a very responsible job, isn't it?" said Lilian absently. She was poring over a bright pink-and-orange leaflet that was headed So You Think You'd Like to Work in Muggle Relations? "All they want is an OWL in Muggle Studies to work in Muggle relations... 'Much more important is your enthusiasm, patience, and a good sense of fun!' To be honest, I'd quite like to work with Muggles."

"Of course you would," sneered Jacob.

"Well what do you want to do?" challenged Lilian. "If you want to critique my goals, can you prove yours are any better?"

Jacob went red and muttered something about working at the Ministry.

"What about you, Cassius?" said Lilian.

"Well, a Curse-Breaker for Gringotts sounds interesting," said Cassius. "'Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure, and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting CurseBreakers for thrilling opportunities abroad...' the only problem is they want Arithmancy, which I didn't take."

"Anything else you like?" said Ursula. Cassius shrugged.

"I'd really like to work with Charms, but I don't have any specific ideas," he said. "My father wants me to work as an Auror or a Hit Wizard, though, and he said he'd get me a Ministry job... I wish he wouldn't, to be honest."

"Do you want to be a Hit Wizard?" said Adrian. "Isn't it dangerous?"

Cassius nodded, looking unhappy.

"You only have to be seventeen, have five or more OWLs, including in Defense Against the Dark Arts, and not have a 'nervous disposition,'" he said. "My father talked about having me join next summer."

"I hate the idea of you out there in danger," said Ursula.

"Well I hate the idea of you working with big, dangerous, fire-breathing dragons," said Cassius. "But I know that won't stop you."