The Dark Mark

"Welcome, Ms. Black," said the witch waiting for them in the lobby. Her name tag read Josephine. "We have been so eager for your arrival."

It was the first day of the International Symposium on Elemental Transfiguration. Ursula, her father, and Tony had arrived in Paris midmorning on Sunday and had spent the rest of the day exploring the beautiful city. They had gone to the Louvre straight away, eaten at a beautiful rooftop restaurant, and taken a nighttime stroll along the Seine.

Even their hotel was magnificent, as it was designed for witches and wizards. House elves were employed to cook and clean, there were enchanted pools and spas, and just about everything glittered with magic. Tony had been given a special pass to wear around the hotel to prove that though he was a Muggle, he was a guest and could enjoy every amenity the hotel had to offer.

They met Professor McGonagall at the hotel the next morning, after a breakfast where Ursula had the pick of every kind of pastry imaginable.

"Professor McGonagall!" said Ursula, hurrying over to her as she spotted her across the hall.

"Please, Ms. Black, call me Minerva, now that we are no longer at school," said Professor McGonagall with a smile.

"Only if you call me Ursula," replied Ursula, grinning back.

"Very well," said Minerva.

From there they had gone to the enchanted conference hall, leaving Tony behind. Ken, who liked Transfiguration but was not as devoted as his daughter, would return after lunch and then they would spend the rest of the afternoon together.

The moment Ursula walked into the grand building, all heads turned to her and the witches and wizards milling about began to murmur to one another, their eyes lighting up. That was where Josephine came in. As soon as Ursula stepped inside the lobby, accompanied by Ken and Minerva, the witch had bustled up, wearing lavender robes, to shake her hand.

"It's an honor to be here," said Ursula. Josephine greeted her father and former teacher as well, before she handed all three of them enchanted name tags and itineraries.

"I am to give you all a tour, and then there is a luncheon," said Josephine, leading them up a floating staircase. "The way the symposium works is that every morning from eight to eleven there are booths on the upper floors, like these ones —"

She pointed at a series of colorful, moving displays around them, each run by a different witch or wizard, some advertising products, others offering demonstrations.

"— There is a map of all the booths available in your itineraries," continued Josephine. "Lunch is from eleven to one, but of course you may come and go as you please. There are three cafes in the building plus a private dining hall for our most esteemed guests, which of course includes you. Then from one to five there are the presentations. I've included a schedule of the speakers. The keynote speaker goes first, with a slot from one to two, and then there are a varying number of shorter presentations."

Now that they had passed through the second floor of the building, with Josephine pointing out that there were more booths above them, she took them back down to the ground floor.

"Some of the presentations are in smaller conference rooms, others, plus the keynote speech, are in the auditorium," she said, opening the door to a positively massive room. It was a fully furnished theatre, with rows upon rows of black seats and red carpeted isles all pointing to an enormous stage. "Ms. Black, your keynote speech will take place on Thursday."

"In here?" questioned Ursula in awe. "Wow. How many seats are there?"

"Well over one thousand," supplied Josephine happily, giving Ursula a twinge of anxiety. "On Friday, as it is the final day of the conference, there will be a ceremony honoring the members of the Society of Distinguished Transfigurers. There is a dinner that night for the members and their guests, and I am pleased to report that your Muggle stepfather has been cleared to attend."