Valentine's Day

Professor Lockhart's idea of a morale-booster became clear at breakfast time on Thursday, February fourteenth. Ursula had been feeling a bit down since she and Adrian broke up — she regretted nothing, but change was hard and she missed the sense of companionship — and things between them hadn't quite returned to normal, though both of them made an effort. So it was quite a shock when she and Lilian walked into the Great Hall to find the walls covered in lurid pink flowers and heart shaped confetti falling from beneath a pale blue ceiling.

"Bloody hell," grumbled Cassius as they sat down at the Slytherin table. He shook confetti off his bacon. "He's gone mad."

"Who?" asked Lilian. Wordlessly, Cassius pointed to the teachers' table.

Lockhart stood out like a sore thumb amid the other teachers, thanks to his shockingly pink robes that matched the decorations. A muscle was jumping in Professor McGonagall's jaw, and Professor Snape looked more livid than usual.

"Of course it was him," muttered Ursula, taking a bite out of a chocolate covered strawberry as Lockhart waved his arms for silence.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Professor Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards! Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all — and it doesn't end here!"

He clapped his hands and through the doors to the entrance hall marched a dozen surly-looking dwarves. Not just any dwarves, unfortunately. Lockhart had them all wearing golden wings and carrying harps.

"What the —" began Cassius.

"My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" beamed Lockhart. "They will be roving around the school today delivering your valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion! And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"

Professor Flitwick buried his face in his hands. Professor Snape looked like the first person to ask him for a Love Potion would be force-fed poison.

"Vanessa, you were one of the forty-six, weren't you?" said Ursula once Professor Lockhart finished his speech. Vanessa blushed.

"Maybe," she said loftily.

"Speaking of valentines..." began Lilian, sharing a pointed look with Cassius, who grinned.

The two of them, along with Gemma, Vanessa, and Adrian, pulled cards from their bags and held them out to Ursula, who stared at them all in confusion.

"What is this?" she asked suspiciously.

"Just some Valentine's Day cards for you," said Lilian innocently.

"And why are you all giving me cards?" Ursula questioned.

She got nothing but shrugs and smiles in return. Hesitantly she accepted the cards, stacking them atop the heart-shaped box of chocolates included with Cassius's.

"Gingers, three o'clock," said Gemma. Ursula turned as Fred and George strolled nonchalantly up to her, grinning like madmen.

"Hello Black," said Fred cheerily. "Happy Valentine's Day."

"You seem to be quite popular," said George, pointing to the stack of cards from her friends.

"Yes..." Her eyes narrowed. "Just how many people did you ask to give me cards?"

"What makes you think it was us?" said Fred smoothly.

"Perhaps we had nothing to do with it," added George.