The Battle of Hogwarts: Part Three

Ursula's eyes cracked open, as the pain pulsing through her arm and her ribs faded to a dull ache. She felt someone's hand, warm and familiar, gripping hers, and turned her head to see a pair of kind brown eyes, a tousled mop of red hair, and a mischievous, slightly lopsided smile.

"You're bleeding," she murmured, cupping Fred's jaw. Her thumb slowly brushed away a stray tear as it glided down his cheek.

"And you almost died," retorted Fred, his voice choked with unshed tears.

"I love you, Weasley," said Ursula, gazing lovingly at him.

"I love you too, Black," said Fred, grinning from ear to ear.

Ursula attempted to sit up to kiss him, but a jolt of pain stopped her, and she fell back onto her pillow with an oh! of surprise. Fred chuckled and leaned forward, giving her a gentle kiss.

"Oy!" snapped Rue, breaking them apart and shooing Fred back into his seat. "No kissing the patient!" She set down a tray of brightly colored vials, blue and green, yellow and pink, and handed each in turn to Ursula. "Drink up."

Ursula grimaced as she downed the first one.

"You couldn't make it taste better?" she joked sarcastically.

"Like he said, people who almost die don't get to complain about how their healing potions taste," lectured Rue, though Ursula could see relief written across her face. "I'll be right back."

As she left them alone, Fred hesitated, running his thumb across Ursula's hand.

"I've seen the... scar," he said, his smiling dropping.

"Oh." Ursula swallowed, forcing her eyes not to stray down to her left arm, which was only half bandaged.

She could only hope Fred hadn't been too affected, for she could see the torment that seeing the horrible scar in the shape of the Dark Mark had caused him. She knew she needed to tell him the truth about how it had been carved into her arm, for his imaginings would likely be far worse, and he would not know peace until he knew the truth, though it wasn't likely to bring him comfort.

"Fred, I..."

But Ursula's voice was drowned out by another, high and cold, magically magnified so that it swelled through Hogwarts and pressed against her eardrums.

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone."

Fred's grip on Ursula's hand tightened. There were screams and curses from those in the Great Hall, as they all listened to Voldemort's words.

"The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

And then came the shouts, the cheers, the approaching footsteps of Voldemort and his army as they gained on the silent castle. Those inside the Great Hall swarmed towards the windows, not daring to believe what they heard.

"Sit down," commanded Rue, shoving Ursula back down, for she had attempted to get up. "Don't let her leave this bed," Rue said, turning to Fred.

But Ursula was not to be stopped. Through the broken windows, she could see the Death Eaters come to a halt, spreading out in a line facing the open front doors of the school as dawn drew ever nearer. And with them, in the front, was Hagrid, bound by chains, with a body in his arms.