New Year's Eve

"Happy Christmas, Ursula dear," said Great Aunt Cassiopeia, enveloping her in a hug. "Please, both of you, sit."

Ursula and Narcissa joined her at the round table as Cassiopeia's house elf served tea.

"How is school going?" asked Cassiopeia, dropping two sugar cubes into her teacup and stirring without clinking her spoon against the cup.

"Fine," said Ursula, taking a sip of her tea.

"Surely you can give me more than that, dear. Which classes are your favorite?"

"Transfiguration," Ursula answered, "and Care of Magical Creatures. Really, I enjoy all of my classes, but those two are my favorite."

"Regardless of how appropriate it is for a young lady to take such an interest in magical creatures, I am glad you are enjoying yourself," said Cassiopeia. "Transfiguration is an excellent discipline as well. Do you play Quidditch?"

"I'm not on the team —"

"I asked if you play. Assuming you do, will you try out?" Cassiopeia's dark brown eyes studied Ursula's face intently.

"Aunt Cassiopeia, Quidditch can be very dangerous," began Narcissa. Cassiopeia shushed her.

"I'm planning on trying out next year," said Ursula. "But Vanessa's brother will be a seventh year, and he's been the reserve chaser for the last two years."

"Then he'll be used to it," said Cassiopeia. Ursula smiled. "Now, when Druella passed, she entrusted me to help pick a suitable match for you."

"Must we discuss suitors?" said Narcissa. "She is thirteen."

"Hush, Narcissa," said Cassiopeia. "I haven't finished. As I was saying, that was Druella's wish. However, I think who you marry is of little importance, because you have no need to marry rich. Obviously you should marry a pureblood — toujours pur — but you, my dear, are already rich. You could marry for status, but why would you? You have that, too."

Ursula couldn't see where Cassiopeia was going with this.

"My dear, I believe the best way to prepare you for the future is to teach you how to manage your wealth," Cassiopeia said. "This means investments, trusts — ensuring you are using the money for the right purpose and preserving some for the next generation."

She didn't know what to say. Apparently neither did Narcissa, so Cassiopeia plowed on.

"I will, of course, introduce you to my financial advisors, and soon you will have your own team, but I hope to teach you how to choose what to do with your money yourself, so you invest it in your own interest," said Cassiopeia.

"Thank you," said Ursula sincerely. "Thank you very much."

"Think nothing of it, dear," said Cassiopeia with a wave of her hand. "More tea?"

A little more than an hour later, as Cassiopeia had her house elf fetch their coats, she pulled Ursula aside.

"I want to speak with you out of earshot of my niece," she said, leading Ursula to an alcove off the hallway. "I do not know if she would agree with what I wish to tell you."

"What do you want to tell me?" asked Ursula, slightly fearful but intrigued.

"I want to talk to you about duty," said Cassiopeia. A smile found its way onto her wrinkled face and she cupped Ursula's chin in her hand. "You have been told that you have a duty to this family. You must marry well, not embarrass us, and uphold our traditions and beliefs."

"I know," said Ursula. "Toujours pur."

But Cassiopeia shook her head.

"No, my dear," she said. "You have a duty, yes. A duty to your heart. You do not have to become someone you do not choose to be. You may agree to an arranged marriage, but you do not have to. Let no one stand in the way of what you want. If you want to chase dragons or tame hippogriffs, then do it. The cost of your dreams is not the opinions of others. Ignore anyone who says you can't or you shouldn't because it's not ladylike."