Black Sheep

Of all the people Andromeda Tonks expected to see on her doorstep, her sister was not one of them.

"Narcissa," she said coolly. "It's been..."

"Almost two years," finished Narcissa quietly. The last time the sisters had seen each other was at Cassiopeia's funeral. They hadn't spoken, even then.

Andromeda's eyes landed on Ursula, who clutched at Narcissa's skirt and stared up at her with the same large grey eyes as Cassiopeia. She sighed.

"You'd better come in," she said, opening the door wider. "It seems we have a lot to discuss."

Narcissa picked Ursula up and followed Andromeda inside, past the staircase and through a hallway lined with photos of Andromeda, her husband, and her daughter.

"Ted'll be home from work soon," said Andromeda. "It's nearly dinnertime, and he's picking Dora up from school. Would you care for some tea?"

Narcissa shook her head. "No, thank you... you have a lovely home."

"Thank you."

The two witches stared at each other in silence. Narcissa spoke first, but it was to Ursula, who was still staring curiously at Andromeda.

"Ursula darling, this is Aunt Andromeda," she said. "Would you like to say hello?"

"Hello," Ursula said softly.

"Hello dear," said Andromeda, smiling warmly at her. Looking over her head at Narcissa, she said, "Am I allowed to be her aunt, then?"

"It's what Cassiopeia would have wanted," Narcissa replied. "She made you and... Ted... godparents, as well as Lucius and I."

"Is this about Cassiopeia's will?"

"Yes, but it isn't the only reason I came." She took a deep breath. "I think you should have a hand in her upbringing, to teach her things her mother would have wanted her to know. That is, if you're willing."

"Does Lucius know you're here?"

Narcissa shook her head firmly. "No. He doesn't need to know. But after the war... mother and father plan to make her their heir."

Andromeda's eyebrows flew up.

"With everything that entails, particularly mother's plans for teaching her about the House of Black..."

"You want to balance out what she learns," said Andromeda. "And if there should be another war, and Ursula is forced to choose?"

Narcissa shuddered at the thought. "Then she will hopefully be informed enough to make the right choice."

Andromeda studied her sister for a moment, then grinned. "We're not so different, you and I. I won't even question what you believe the 'right choice' would be, heaven forfend she ever has to choose. Alright... I'm in."

The girl in question understood little of what they were saying, only that it was about her from the way her aunts kept glancing down at her, their eyes darting away the moment she noticed.

"Ursula," said Narcissa, drawing her attention. "You're going to come see Aunt Andromeda sometimes, okay? But it has to be a secret. You can't tell anyone. Do you understand?"

Ursula nodded, but her nod only meant so much at such a young age. Narcissa recalled that she hadn't said a word about Draco's birthday presents, and took that as a good sign. Before any more could be said, the front door banged open.

"MUM!" shouted a girl, running into the sitting room. She was lanky, around eight or nine, and her brown hair was getting distinctly pinker by the second. She wore a mud splattered, grass stained uniform and clutched a dirty black and white football under one arm.

Narcissa shot Andromeda a look that said Football? Really? but didn't say anything.

Right behind her came a fair haired man with a relaxed, easy smile who tossed his keys on the table and said, "Dora dear, your mum seems busy. Sorry Dromeda, didn't know you had company."

Narcissa gave Ted a polite smile. The cuffs of his pants were flecked with mud.

"Who are they?" asked his daughter impatiently, clearly bursting with her own news.

"Ted, Dora, this is Narcissa Malfoy, my sister, and Ursula Black, my niece," said Andromeda, sighing affectionately and ruffling her daughter's already messy hair. "Narcissa, Ursula dear, this is my husband Ted and my daughter Nymphadora."

"Mum!" complained Nymphadora, stomping her foot. "Don't call me that!"

"Be polite in front of our guests," chided Andromeda.

Nymphadora's hair was on its way from pink to purple now, and Ursula was mesmerized. Ted reached over and picked her up before Narcissa could stop him.

"Wheeee!" he said, swinging her around. Ursula giggled. "You must be Cassiopeia's daughter, eh?" She nodded. "Well, I'm Uncle Ted. Wondered if we'd be seeing you, what with ー"

"Ted," interrupted Andromeda, though she smiled at the way he played with her. "Why don't you take Dora to get cleaned up and I'll let my sister and niece get going."

"Of course," he said, a twinkle in his eye. He swung Ursula through the air one more time before setting her down, then he left the sitting room, taking Nymphadora with him.

"I'll see you in a couple of days, then?" said Andromeda, standing up.

Narcissa nodded and picked Ursula up. Andromeda led them back to the door.

"Thanks for bringing her here," said Andromeda, smiling fondly at Ursula. "I didn't think you would."

"But Cassiopeia would have," said Narcissa, "and it would be an insult to her memory not to. Andromeda?" she said, just before her sister could close the door. "Thank you, too."

Andromeda smiled one more time and closed the door. It had started to rain, but Narcissa Disapparated the moment she stepped off the front porch.

"Is Lucius home yet?" asked Narcissa when she entered Malfoy Manor, finding Draco and the nanny in the nursery.

"No ma'am," said the nanny, handing Draco to her and holding her hand out to Ursula. "I'll get this one changed for dinner. That one's been asking for you."

Narcissa murmured sweet words to her son, who was nearly two at this point. His hair was blond and his eyes were grey, just like both of his parents. Just minutes after she returned home her husband arrived.

"Been home long?" asked Lucius, greeting his wife with a kiss.

"No, not long," said Narcissa. "I meant to change, but I got caught up with Draco."

Their son reached out a chubby hand towards his father, whose expression softened into a small smile.

"I'll take him," said Lucius, "while you change. Then at dinner we can discuss how tea went with your mother. Is there a lot to learn?"

"No," said Narcissa, pausing at the door to smile back at them, "just a lot to consider."