The Sorting Hat

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in deep blue robes stood there. She had a very stern expression and wore square spectacles.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said the giant man.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

She opened the door wide, revealing an enormous entrance hall. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Hundreds of voices droned from a doorway to the right, meaning the rest of the school was already there. Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall. They all crowded in nervously, glancing at one another and fidgeting.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "Before you take your seats in the Great Hall and enjoy the welcome feast, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony. While here, your house will be something like your family. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." Her tone flattened a little on the last word. "Each house has its own proud history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards."

"While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house points, while any rulebreaking will lose points." She looked directly at the Weasley twins, who, in addition to chatting rather loudly amongst themselves, looked the most at ease of any of the first years. "I suggest some of you consider that. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house up, which is a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. Smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you wait." Her eyes trailed over Cassius's poorly tied tie and a boy with an incorrectly fastened cloak. "I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly."

"All we have to do is try on a hat," said Vanessa, trying to reassure herself.

"It'll be fine," said Ursula, though she felt just as nervous. She fingered a lock of her hair, twirling it around her finger.

Then several people screamed, causing her to yank painfully on her hair.

About twenty ghosts came streaming through the wall, pearly white and slightly transparent. They mostly glided over the students, giving the unpleasant sensation of being dunked in cold water if they passed through them. The ghosts all looked vastly different. There was a ghost wearing a ruff and tights, what looked like a fat little monk, and even an unpleasant looking ghost covered in silver blood.

"Move along!" came Professor McGonagall's sharp voice as she returned. "It's time for the Sorting Ceremony."

One by one, the ghosts floated away through the opposite wall, looking down at the students with more interest as they realized the first years were there.

"Form a line," said Professor McGonagall, "and follow me."

Ursula got into line behind a tiny girl with fair skin and caramel brown hair, who was in turn behind the boy with dreadlocks. Vanessa followed her as Professor McGonagall led them out of the chamber, back across the hall, and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

It was simply stunning. Thousands and thousands of candles floated and flickered over four long tables, where the rest of the school was sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets and at the top of the hall there was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Professor McGonagall brought the first years up here, so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. The hundreds of faces staring up at them looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight, and dotted here and there among them the ghosts shone misty silver. Above them was a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars, so beautiful and realistic that it was hard to believe there was a ceiling at all, and that the Great Hall didn't simply open to the heavens.