Cut it Sandy

My throat felt parched,like I hadn't moistened my throat in weeks. I swallow hard,taking in his appearance in flesh.

After two whole years.

But as we scrutinized each other silently,I could find myself getting arrogant, inspite of  my mental state being haywire.

"It's good to see you Sandy",Dhruv says,the statement so void of emotion that I flinched involuntarily.

"Can't say the same for you",Anshu muttered from next to me, audible enough for him to hear,but not as audible to be counted as a reply.

I give an easy smile, surprising myself,"You too."

I will myself to hold myself together,at least till I'm out the door. I will not display any action that might make him think he still affects me.

He didn't have to know that.

I swipe a strand of hair beneath my ear, blowing on the steaming soup we'd ordered,"Was there a reason you wanted to meet?",I ask coolly, even though I could feel my heart hammer and palms sweat,holding on to the spoon tighter so it doesn't slip.

"Yeah. I wanted to congratulate you",he smirks,almost mocking,as if he was enjoying a private joke.

"What for?",I frown.

Dhruv only gave me an assessing look.

"For your we-", his sentence was stopped midway when my mobile rang.

"Excuse me",I say, stretching my leg so I can retrieve my mobile from my jeans pocket.

I share a look with Anshu before I receive the call.

"Hi Ma."

"Hi beta. Where are you?"

Both Anshu and Dhruv give me startled looks, apparently having heard my mother's question.

I jerk away from the phone, surprised. What an odd question. I look around.

"Hello? Sandy?"

"Yeah. I'm out for dinner."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Me,Anshu and... another friend."

"I see. I called you to inform you that Nikhil's parents had called. They seem interested in taking the talk further. I had informed them that I will confirm it with you and let them know. What do you think of the boy?",my mother finished in one breath.

"What?"

"Offo Sandy. Remember the boy who came to meet you last week?"

"Of course I remember",I snap.

"Yeah. His parents had called. What do you think?"

"Ma...umm",I share a panicked look with Anshu,my eyes moving to Dhruv as he sat there with an assessing look in his eyes. Somehow,I now understood the reason for his Congratulations.

"Sandy?"

"I'm outside Ma. I'll call you once I'm back to my room."

"But beta,they had called twice already. What should I tell them?"

"Tell them to wait",I snap at my mother, shutting my eyes,as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

I opened my eyes to Dhruv sipping his drink smugly,like he was enjoying the show,his eyebrow raised mockingly,as if to say Get over me Sandy.

I clench my fist,as I try not to glare at him when I hear mom sigh on the other end.

"Okay. Call me when you're back to your room."

"Yeah. Bye",I cut the call.

"The wedding with Nikhil huh?", Dhruv asks me,so casually,as if he wasn't my ex,as if he was merely talking to an old acquaintance.

I stare at him, swallowing the lump in my throat, pinching the inside of my wrist so I can stop the hurricane inside my head.

"What's stopping you?",he asks,smug.

I roll my eyes,"Whoever I decide to marry is none of your concern Dhruv."

"He's my friend. And I want what's best for him",he gives me a pointed look, someone that's not you.

I give him a Fuck-you smile,"Friends?",I ask surprised,"Funny for someone to remain friends in spite of not seeing each other's face for the better part of two years",I smirk.

"Cut it Sandy."

I was beginning to get a headache. First off,my mother had dropped a huge bomb on my head. And secondly,the conversation with Dhruv was going in every tangent except for the one I expected it to be.

"Why did you want to meet?"

"Don't spoil Nikhil's life Sandy."

I glare at him venomously,"What the hell are you talking about?"

"He doesn't deserve someone like you. He can do far better",Dhruv says, rising from the seat,walking out of the restaurant,my eyes following him till I can no longer see him.

What the hell.

Hello everyone!
It's past midnight where I live and I'm just sitting and typing down the lines.
Lol.

Do you like the chapter?

Vote, Comment and Share if you like it!

Sorry for the small chapter and slow updates. Life's been busy.

Until next time.
Ruvya ♥️