Alright,Miss Guptha

"Yes. I do love you",I say, exasperated.

"No. It's not like that",I continue, irritated.

I balance the mobile between my ear and shoulder, continuing my work.

"Of course not!",I exclaim,"I just didn't think it was necessary."

I wince when I hear a loud screech, pulling the phone away from my ear.

"You lied to me."

I roll my eyes,"Don't be dramatic."

When there's a longer than necessary pause,I huff,"Stop it Sne.I really didn't find it important enough to worry you about it."

My darling sister,just like any other younger-sibling-blood-sucking-witch made me narrate my 'love story' to her.

And how does she suspect that I'm hiding something from her?

Thanks mom. I can always count on you to bitch about me to Sne.

"So that's that",I say, after about an hour.

"Hmm",Sneha hums,"It all sounds so complicated."

"Sneha",I swing my legs, pointing my index finger in the air as if she can see me,"One word about this to Mom or Dad,and I swear to God",I stop.

"You can't do shit Sandy."

I start to panic,only relaxing when my sister says the next few words,"Don't worry Sandy. It will just remain between us. It's unnecessary to share it with mom and dad."

"Thanks",I mumble.

"Ah. Golden words from my sister. I couldn't hear them well though. Care to repeat it?"

"I said,Get lost Sne",I roll my eyes, smiling.

"Lol. Go to bed. I'm sleepy too."

"Yup",I bob my head,"Goodnight."

As the night lulled me to sleep,I felt as though a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

***

There's a slight problem with people you know working as your seniors.

You had to address them with respect, at least in front of other senior seniors.

"No Sir",I wince,"The lady delivered a baby boy yesterday",I tell Nikhil.

He looks at me weirdly,then gives me a teasing smile when he sees the professors on rounds, standing at an audible distance.

"Alright, Miss.Guptha",he smiles,"I'll check the baby once again and see if he's fit for discharge."

I narrow my eyes,although I smile.

I wave him a small Bye, walking towards my ward.

As soon as I enter the ward,I look for a relatively empty space.

"We just met Sandy."

I roll my eyes,"Whatever. Just see to it that the baby gets discharged asap if he's fine?",I ask Nikhil.

"Why so urgent?"

"The mother is killing me with her questions about why the baby is not with her. It makes sense. But I can't empathize with her once every five minutes."

"Okay. I'll go see the baby now and ask my juniors to prepare for a sooner discharge if everything is fine."

"Thank you!",I exclaim.

"It's fine",He cuts the call.

I pocket my phone,getting busy.

"Hmmm",Anshu moans,taking a large bite of her pizza,"Why can't they provide Pizza every day of the week instead of just Wednesdays?"

"I know right",I agree, chewing on my slice.

"I swear man", Avyukth nods,"It's like we get decent food once a week. And there's only so much I can eat canteen food."

"Why aren't you eating?",Anshu asks Nikhil.

"I just finished before you and Sandy came."

"Oh",Anshu nods.

"Obviously",I mutter,"It's not like you have to wait for the pizza lady to open the counter."

"Yeah bro", Avyukth nods,"You eat home food every day. Like, how is your sister so good?"

Nikhil laughs,"She only cooks once in a while. And I had stayed over at her place yesterday. Apparently, Madam's mood was good enough to send me packed lunch.Otherwise it's just me cooking in my place."

"Ananya packed you lunch and you ate everything? Without sharing?",Anshu asks,her face twisting.

"I know right. You've committed such a grave sin",I tease him.

"You guys weren't there then",Nikhil shrugs,"So I and Avyukth ate it."

Conversation flows smoothly as we pull each other's legs, laughing,the four of us.

It used to be five of us.

I sigh, shaking my head, smiling at what Anshu was saying.

"Okay. Finish the discharge formalities",I sign the file,"And don't forget to take  Professor Chander's sign",I tell my junior Priyanka.

As I pass the ward,I sigh in relief when I see the mother with her baby,my lips curving up automatically when the lady makes faces to shush the baby.

I sigh, the apron hanging off my forearm as I make way out,done for the day.

I turn around, waiting for Nikhil to catch up with me when I hear my name.

"So",he grins,"I helped you discharge your patient."

I raise an eyebrow,"I remember thanking you a few minutes back."

"Just a Thank You?",he smirks.

I roll my eyes,"What do you want?"

There's that grin on his face again,"I want-"

A kiss.

That's what he would have said.

I sigh, ignoring the tug at my heart as I continue to walk.

"You were saying?"

Nikhil looks at me weirdly,as though trying to read me. I look away.

"Yeah",he clears his throat,"I was saying you should treat me."

I give him a sly smile,"I'm going to be bankrupt if I treat you for every patient I ask you to discharge from now on."

He laughs,"What is your problem with patients. It's a hospital you know."

"I know. But we keep some patients unnecessarily,just for the sake of senses. I don't lie to my patients. It's your Paediatrics department that doesn't discharge the new borns."

"So you're just going to use me now, without even treating me for it."

"Of course",I nod,",What else are friends for?"

Nikhil in return only smiles,"Of course."

Are you guys irritated with the back to back updates yet ?😂

Just a headsup. The story will be as natural as possible. The main leads(whoever you think they are) are not going to miraculously fall in love with each other in one chapter. It's going to be gradual, and will take time(chapters).

Be patient.
Thank you.

Vote, Comment and Share.

Bye.