I Missed You

"Hmm",Anshu hums,drawing patterns on the sand ,"This was what you wanted to talk to Dhruv about?"

I glare at Anshu,"I'm not an idiot. Why would I patch up with him?"

"You're a bit... fickle when it comes to Dhruv."

"Thank you. That means a lot",I roll my eyes.

"Oh shut up",Anshu mumbles.

"I'm hungry. Should we go somewhere?"

"I think you should tell Nikhil what you spoke to Dhruv."

"Anshu!"

"Yeah. Since you don't want Dhruv to come in between you and Nikhil",she snickers.

"Anshu",I deadpan.

"No. Listen to me. If I thought you wanted to make things right with Dhruv, there's no way Nikhil might think otherwise",Anshu presses her lips,"I know you're not in the best mood,but just imagine what he must be going through."

"Anshu",I whine,"Why does everyone jump to conclusions?"

"Talk to him?"

"Yeah. I will",I nod,"After I fill my stomach."

Anshu rolls her eyes,"Foodie. Where do you want to go?"

"I don't-

"Wait a second.Yeah Avyukth",she answers her ringing mobile,"Sandy is with me",she listens to her boyfriend on the other side,"I may have forgotten to text you once I found her?"

Anshu winces at the mobile, rolling her eyes,"Yeah. Yeah. Whatever. We're going to...",I shrug when Anshu mouths me Where, making her shake her head," Truffles. Join us there."

"But I don't like Truffles",I say when she cuts the call.

"I gave you the option. You didn't use it. Now shut up and let's go."

"You bully",I mumble under my breath.

"I have lifetime subscription for that."

"It's vice versa",I grin.

***

Surprisingly, or unsurprisingly, it was as if Nikhil suddenly vanished into thin air.

He neither answered my calls,nor responded to my texts,nor did I see him in the campus.

It was the same case with Anshu and Avyukth.

Did he seriously block all of us?

On day three,I realized one should never give anyone too much importance.

If he could disappear from my life without bothering to talk it out, there's no way I'm going to accept such behaviour.

I'm a vocal person. I like talking out and sorting out differences. And even if the guy I like isn't vocal, the least I could expect is for him to not run away. Heck,even passive aggressive will do. But this.

I stare at the book in front of me, disturbed.

I take a deep breath.

I will find Nikhil. Tell him whatever happened and then ask him to fuck off.

I jump in surprise when my mobile rings, placing a hand on my heart.

As I look at the caller id,I glance at the time.

10:10pm. Quiet late,but not too late.

"Hello?"

"Hey Sandy."

"Hey Sandy?"

"Um. What's the issue? All okay?"

I take deep breaths,"Yeah. All fine."

Go to hell.

"Oh. It's quite late,huh", Nikhil laughs."Just reached Mumbai. So thought of calling you. There's no network the last few days. So."

I stare at my phone in confusion,"What?"

"Yeah",Nikhil sighs,"I'd gone on a hospital camp to some village the last three days. The network was crap there. Couldn't make messages or calls to anyone."

"Oh",I say, stumped, slapping my forehead.

"Yeah. I texted you a couple of times,but the message didn't get delivered at all."

"Oh. Like that",I find myself smiling to myself,shaking my head."Are you home yet?"

"Yeah. Just reached."

The fact that he had called me as soon as he reached is doing weird things to me.

"How was the camp?"

"It was fine. Routine,kind of."

"I get it",I pause,"Dinner?"

He yawns,"I ordered some takeaway. Will have it now."

"Uh Okay."

I hear a hum, followed by...clothes shuffling?

"Goodnight Nikhil. We can talk tomorrow."

"Sandy."

"Yeah?"

"Everything's fine,right?"

Although he didn't say the words,I could understand the underlying meaning,How do things with Dhruv stand?

"Don't worry Nikhil. Everything's fine."

"Sleep well, Sandy", Nikhil says after a pause.

"You too."

"And yeah",I hear some noise,a breathing sound,"I missed you."

My breath hitches,and before I could say anything,the call is disconnected.

***
I take deep breaths.

I am usually not an anxious person. I'm fine. I deal with things life throws at me at my pace,my style.

But this particular thing in my head is making me a bit... fidgety.

I narrow my eyes at my cup of watermelon juice, trying to think about the subtlest ways I can hint that I like someone.

But...girls don't just go say they like someone. It's the guy that proposes.

I snort at the scaredycat in me. Since when did I pay heed to such idiotic gender predilections.

And,Nikhil already did.

It's just Nikhil.

Big deal.

Hi. So the other day, I'd spoken to Dhruv. I told him he and I can't be together,when he had proposed we do. I might have also said  I like someone else. Okay Bye Nikhil.

That's it. Just a few dozen words.

I'm irritated when I find my palms get sweaty. What the fuck is wrong with me.

"Oh shut up",I snap at myself, unbothered at the few looks I received.

I glance around, looking at the surrounding stores.

If things go shit, I could at least shop a bit. Need some pants.

My almost calm heart starts palpitating again when I hear a voice.

"Hey Sandy. Am I late?"

Hi you all.

The next chapter is going to be interesting.
Guess what?

Do you guys like the chapter?

Vote, Comment and Share.