Chapter 30

"Mama, when's daddy getting here?" My four-year-old self asks, jumping up and down excitedly.

My mama chuckles and lifts me off the grass. "My little Elizabeth, you must learn to be patient. Daddy is out hunting with your brothers', they'll obe back any minute now."

I nod vigorously. "I'll be patient mama!"

She sets me down, and I don't move because I always keep my word. A nudge on my shoulder begs for attention. I squeal as I realize it's Bruce. Since I'm four he is too but he's much taller.

"Brucey!" I scream, throwing myself onto him. With me on his back we ran everywhere in the front yard as he goes faster.

Thick arms suddenly wrap around me. "Hello, baby girl." Daddy playfully tickles my sides.

I giggle.

Wrapping my arms around his neck as he holds me up, I see my big brother, Alex, smile.

"You guys didn't take me this morning."

They groan.

"That's not fair." A five-year-old Paul frowns. I stick my tongue out at him and he does it back.

Do it again and I'll chop it off, I thought and grin evilly at the thought.

'Jeez, you have problems,' Bruce comments, causing me to roll my eyes for the billionth time.

Alex is the oldest. Right now he's fourteen and Derrick's ten, and it sucks. Even though Paul's one year older than me, I still get treated like a baby.

"Whenever you pout it's like the world's ending!" Alex yelled dramatically, showing me his hands in surrender as I jut my bottom lip out.

"Does not," I defend. Bruce howls his agreement and yapps. Sometimes I think I'm the more mature one, but that can't be possible. I'm only four, after all. Or am I? I don't know, numbers are dumb.

But mama and daddy always say that I'm very smart for my age. I'm so awesome!

"Does to," Derrick said as a matter-of-fact tone.

"Daddy, daddy, they're being mean to me. And they shouldn't because tomorrow's my birthday." I look my dad in the eyes, giving him the best puppy dog eyes I could with a trembling lip.

He groans again. Placing me onto his shoulders, he runs after the traitors.

After placing me on the ground my brothers' run after me as I try to get away. We all stop at the same time and pretend to gagg. Mama and Daddy were kissing. Yuck.

"Come."

I run to them, my big brothers' hot on my heel. I'm instantly scooped into mama's and daddy's arms. We were thrown to the floor as my brothers' crashed into us.

Daddy had his arm wrapped around mama's shoulders, while his other was ruffling Alex's hair. Derrick was by our mom's side and she was running her hands through his hair, well with the little hair he had. Paul sat on daddy's lap making faces at me. And me and Bruce were in the middle. He's big, I call him fluffy sometimes and he gets mad, but I secretly knows he likes it though. He's big compared to me and I know that because his body coiled around me.

For the last couple of minutes we were talking and enjoying each others company. Peacefully watching the sunset fall behind the peak of the mountains. We were happy. But who wouldn't? It felt like a dream come true.