Anxieties

I dreaded seeing James at first period. I was overwhelmed with relief when he didn't show up. I also have to worry about second period anticipating to see him then but he wasn't there either. 

James was absent again, and by the time lunch break came, I was relieved. I learned from Isaac the cops were called and James had been arrested. It was alpha Alfonso who told him.

"Good. So how long is he going to be gone?"

He expelled a sigh and leaned his elbows on his knees. "James Summers is still underage. He'll probably be out by later today or tomorrow."

That's that good enough.

Anxiety swept through me, I felt my entire body tensed and my jaws tightened. I need him to be gone longer than that.

Jake's hand fell on my back, caressing it. He never fails to notice my fret or worries or anxieties. He's always able to pick up whatever is happening with me no matter what. And I thanked him for being there, for paying close attention, for being able to sense it through our connection. I just wished he's as much of an open book as I am.

Not just me getting all the comfort from him. I wanted to do the same but there's nothing really I can do when he doesn't fear anything. Jake's mind is strong. 

"Are you really that scared of him?" He said softly. "I threatened to kill him the next time he lays a hand on you."

I really wished that's enough. What if James did not take his threat seriously?

Jake saw through the doubt on my face.

"Do you really think he'd try that again?" 

They have no idea what's it like for a woman to go through getting threatened by a man. It's scary specially when you know they can overpower you easily. I opened my mouth. "I don't want him near me." We have two classes together. What if Jake couldn't come to me right away? And I am not good enough in this werewolf thing. I can't fight him off.

I know it's an impossible scenario for him. He can't always be there to protect me.

"I was able to come to you soon enough last time."

A smile caressed my lips, he's right, I should give him more credit.

*****

Matt was already waiting for us when we arrived at the community after school. His usual grin tamed although the smile still appeared on his lips. And to my surprise, he wore a shirt even though it was a thin t-shit, tight as it could be that did nothing to hide his lean muscular upper body.

Isaac slowed down to a roll and stopped lowering the window.

His familiar grin manifested widely, Matt looked and greeted all of us inside the vehicle. "Sup!?"

"Sup!?" Answered Jake.

"Sup!?" I said.

"Sup?!" Replied Lou.

"Hey Matt!" Grinned Caitlyn back.

"Actually, I need Jake." He declared right away. His glance swept to me apologetically. "Sorry Grace, Isaac is on another mission today. I need a partner."

I shrugged, I'm not sure why he felt the need to apologize to me, by no means I'm possessive of my mate. "You can take him, I don't have a leash on him."

Jake turned to me, eyebrow arching. All those times I heard the word mine in my head, he would think I would be as possessive with him as he is with me.

Caitlyn put a hand on my shoulder, shaking her head. "You have a lot to learn how to be a werewolf, Grace."

"Sorry man, order's coming from Drew." Matt slapped Jake on his back.