Back to school

I missed so many days of school already which is not good. I just transferred to this school not too long ago and I'm already missing so much work. Jake told me not to worry, he has notes from biology class he can share with me but that's just one out of four. I could ask James for History and Calculus but I don't really think it's a good idea.

I don't think he'd still talk to me after he finds out Jake and I got together.

The walk to the class was long, feeling extra anxious today. A lot of students were staring at us this morning as soon as we got out of Lucas' car. I know Jake, Lou and Lucas tend to attract curious eyes due to their constant state of cuts and bruises, but this time, they were staring because of me.

Some gave me a disapproving glare and other shook their heads. I now understood what James were trying to tell on my first day of school. How the entire school avoids them and think of them as troublemakers.

Somehow, I couldn't deny why people would think of our group that way. We are a pack of werewolves mingling along with normal people. They're right to assume we are dangerous, because we are as dangerous as we're going to get.

My first class was History. Jake was sweet enough to walk there with me. The first person my eyes landed as I walked into the class was James. He glanced at me quickly before taking his eyes somewhere else. I didn't say anything as I took my regular seat beside him.

"So you and Jake, huh?" He commented as soon as I got settled in. I turned to him with a straight face since I don't know how's he going to react to my admission, but it seemed like he already knew and I don't really have to worry about it. He just needed to find out for himself.

James was glaring at me with his glassy eyes.

"Yes."

"After I told you the kind of people he hangs out with?"

I know the kind of people he hangs out with. They are good people. They protect this town from dangerous creatures you have no idea exist. James should thank them instead of castrating them.

"I know how people can easily judge him based on the way he looks. Jake is not dangerous."

"Of course you'd say that." James retorted. "You're dating him."

"No, you were just saying those things because you are judging him and his friends based on their appearances."

"Who goes to school bruised up and bandaged all the time? That's not normal!" James laughed his voice rising hysterically.

This gained us some unwanted attention. Looks from our classmates and teacher. Mrs. Fork lifted her head and pointed a reprimanding stare at us. "James and Grace!" She called out. "That's detention for both of you this afternoon!"

I straightened out to protest. "It wasn't my fault, it was James who raised his voice first."

But she didn't seemed to care, pointing her finger to the door as she expected me to leave the class and report to the office.

I picked up my stuff. I know mom isn't going to be happy about this. I have never been in detention all my high school life.

I made sure I was at least a few steps away from James, extending my legs longer than usual so I could better get away from him. 

"Grace, wait up!"

James called as he tried to catch up to me, but I ignored him. I wanted nothing than to get away from him. 

"Grace!" His voice started to have an edge to it. More agressive. 

I dare not look back but I know James is catching up. 

"Grace!" 

He called my name for the third time, this time he caught up catching my arm. "Stop!" He snarled. I tried to get away from him yanking my arm but he'd been a lot stronger. Oddly, a lot stronger even with my new found strenght. 

He pulled me towards him and I stumbled slamming into his chest. I turned around, my teeth gritted, angry for how he manhandled me when I smelled his scent. James smelled of earth, woods, and rivers all clashing together. Much like the smell of Jake but with subtle difference. It surprised me. I wasn't expecting him to smell the way he did. I lifted my eyes to him, I saw the change in their color. His usually crystal clear green eyes looked more like yellow right now and I realized then what he'd been the whole time. 

My lips trembled as all my anger fizzled and replaced with confusion. "James?"

His face slowly calmed as we looked at each other, the color of his eyes returned to normal though his tight grip never loosened. 

So he'd known all along? Much like Jake and his friends knew I was a werewolf just by looking at me. 

I yanked my hand away, more forceful this time. "What are you?" I snarled at him instinctively stepping back. 

James stepped forward and closed the distance between us again. "Grace I can explain." His voice wobbled, affected by his fluctuating emotions. 

"Stay away from me!" I warned him, flashing him my canines. I took another step back, my nerves rippling from my legs up to my waist. I wanted to run away, I was so angry, confused and betrayed. James only pretended to get close to me because he knew something. I started to turn around again to leave when he trapped me. 

James moved fast, inhumanely fast, like a blur. He was behind me a split second ago, now he's in front. I slammed into his chest again. 

"I won't let you go anywhere until you listen to me!" He half begged and half yelled at me. 

What's there to talk about? He'd been nothing but agressive since I came back to school this morning. "There's nothing to talk about."

I could see the flash of irritation in his eyes, James is not used getting turned down or dismissed by anyone. He grabbed me by the arm again, tighter and more violent that I almost fell. He's strong, so strong that I couldn't even fight him off. 

His grip pained me. "Let me go!"

There was a noise in the hallway, someone moved too fast for me to keep up with. It grabbed both James and mine's attention. My head turned slightly to the direction of the noise, focusing my ears to it - while James inclined his chin narrowing his eyes when something struck him, sending him staggering back, losing his grip on me. 

Jake caught me before I fell to the ground. James had been too slow to react that he didn't have time to evade or catch Jake's fist before it sent him stumbling to the ground. 

"Jake!" My heart thudded to my chest. I've never seen him move like that. I've never seen his eyes like that. They were furious, sharp and lethal. He was someone unfamiliar. 

Jake was heaving like an angry animal trying to control his breaths. I sensed the rage in him, the sense to protect what belongs to him. "You put your hands like that on Grace again, I will kill you!" He declared.

The word mine echoed in my head. He's trying to hold back from losing it.

I have no doubt Jake would do more than punch James next time. 

James held Jake's penetrating stare wiping the cut on his chin. He glanced at the smear of blood oh his hand and snorted. "All this for a girl?"

Jake kept his protective stance as he kept me behind him. He didn't care what James think. "You should know by now she is my mate."

James did nothing but look at both of us. From Jake to me and Jake again. Maybe he didn't know and maybe he just now found out but anger seemed to flash in his eyes showing us his extending canines, growling  theateningly. 

I have never suspected him to be one of us, a supernatural. James seemed to easily blend in this world. 

Lucas soon turned to the corner, coming to our direction. James saw him too and decided two male werewolves was more than he could handle. He straightened his clothes and started to leave.