Mate

The day felt surreal. Jake and I walked together to our next class. This time, Jake did not hesitate upon taking the seat next to me, so we may sit to each other during the class.

This must be what's being in love was all about. I've never felt so happy, so content, and all these feelings of completeness was made to happen by this boy just existing next to me, accepting me.

Jake walked me to my next class after and before we parted in the hallway, he halted me grasping for my hand. "Wait for me after school."

I don't know what he planned to do but I wasn't going to say, no.

By the time school let out, Jake was waiting by the end of the halls, watching me as I walked up to him. "I have a place I wanted to take you."

"Are we walking there?"

He smiled at me as though the question itself amused him. "It's nowhere near here."

He led me back to Lucas' white SUV where Lou and Caitlyn also waited, waving as we come near.

A heat of embarrassment burned my cheeks. It's a bit overwhelming to see how excited his friends are for us to be together. We all cramped in the SUV. Lucas in the driver's seat, Caitlyn in front. Me and Jake in the middle row and Lou who seemed so content and happy in the back.

I've never really got to pay attention how young he looked. A freshman though his features still resemble of a kid in middle school.

Lucas drove us to the trail, away from the main road, all while I paid attention to the dark bruises and cuts all over Jake's beautiful tan skin.

"They were just mild scratches and bruises, Grace. There's nothing to worry about."

I gave him a dissatisfied look and I think he knew exactly what I wanted to know.

"No beating around the bush, Jake. Tell me."

A flash of hesitation, Jake was conflicted whether to tell me the truth or not.

"You can trust me." I spoke.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Lucas looked at us from the rearview mirror. Jake made a quick eye contact with him and decided it's best for us to have some privacy.

Lucas stopped the SUV on the side of the road and let Jake and I walk the rest of the way.

"Do you want to walk down by the creek with me?" He asked and I was too fast to answer eager to know what it is he'd been hiding the whole time.

We strolled nearby the large redwood tree; rows of them standing so close to each other. He lifted his head in admiration for them, his smile hovering around the edges of his shapely lips. "Do you know the story of our people?" He began.

His soft gaze met mine. My head shook slightly. "I don't know exactly what you mean."

"Well, you know how different you felt as soon as you laid your eyes on me?"

I swallowed, trying to contain the redness on my cheeks. What's up with him being so direct all the time? "I remember having an overwhelming feeling when I first saw you, yes."

"Well, I felt the same way." His reassuring smile put me at ease. He wasn't trying to embarrass me, he was just stating the fact. "I've always wondered what it would be like for people like us to meet our mate." He sighed. "To find that person you're bounded by fate. To have the kind of unbreakable bond that lasts a lifetime. I always thought it would be impossible. There's not a lot of people it happens to. A fated mate is very rare...." He turned to me again and admired my face, his hazel eyes shining. "...Grace."

My knees almost turned liquid. I can't believe how romantic Jake actually is. 

"Chosen mate happens constantly, we are free to choose our mates, but fated mate is different." He continued. 

"I would say it's like love at first sight." I said. 

Our eyes met, and a thought slipped in my head. Was it? Jake flashed me a mischievous smile.

I turned red and dove my eyes shyly away from him.

"When I first saw you, I thought you were it. My mate. There's no mistaken it. And the way you looked at me, the same mesmerized way we gazed at each other. Neither of us could look away.

And then, your scent, I smelled the wild forest in you, the earth, the leaves and dirt and it almost drove me crazy. I know scent of werewolves like us, I've been around them all my life. I was raised and trained with them but none of them has the same effect as you did. But then, I sensed something strange. I thought the click was always immediate and the couple always knew right away but there's something about you that seemed so clueless. As if you didn't know what's happening to you and you looked so confused and frightened.

Then Lucas whispered something to me. Even though your scent seemed so strong and magnetic to me, he picked up the potency of wolf in your blood. He said you're a half breed and you don't smell like you belong to a pack.

I realized later how clueless you really were. I was confused why you moved to this area if your family is not looking for a new pack. That's why Lucas' dad sent us to help at your house that weekend so we can investigate, but your mother isn't even a werewolf and you have been raised like a regular girl without training or knowledge of being one."

I thought for sure I couldn't lead you to a dangerous life with me."

I swallowed. "Is that the reason why you turn me down that weekend? Is that why you said it was dangerous?"

Guilt filmed his eyes. "Yes."