18. "You can't like me!"

Just as the months went by and Spring arrived, Julian and I grew closer. He would pick me up at home and then take me back after school. Alejandra was improving at school. Her grades were greater than usual except Spanish. Marcus and Tori were still dating. They were the number one couple at school after Kayra and her boy toy Francis. Don’t ask me why. She always had a guy with her. Mom and Tom were living their fairy tale story like two teenagers lost in love.

“Calli?” I heard a knock on my door. I kept my eyes focused on the wall in front of me. I had decided to dedicate my weekends to drawing on that wall. The mysterious hands were still there. I don’t remember why I drew them. “Calli, it’s me.

“Come in.” I placed my paint brush on the newspaper I had lying on the floor before turning around. Julian stood at my door with Ale and his hands inside his pocket. “Hey! What are you doing here?”

“I thought I’d stop by.” I smiled at him and turned my attention back to the wall. Julian’s footsteps were slow and gentle against the wooden floor of my room. “What are you drawing today?”

“Different locations in Miami. The ones I want to see.” I turned to see him sitting on my bed. “My wall doesn’t bite Julian.”

“Oh! I’m just giving you space. I know how much you love drawing.” I smiled at him.

“Always the gentleman.” He chuckled. I grabbed a pencil and threw it at him. “Let’s see if you can draw.”

“Compared to you, I can’t.” I rolled my eyes.

“Give it a try at least.” He rolled his eyes. I knew he was going to give in eventually. He always did.

We spent a few minutes on the wall as I finished painting Miami. Julian and I spent the afternoon with Alejandra. She was bored and considering her friends weren’t allowed in El Paso, Julian and I decided to keep her company. We all watched a Toy Story marathon thanks to Julian’s request. Alejandra got along with him but every time he left she would mention Austin was way better than him. I didn’t think the same or maybe that was my conscious talking.

Before you ask about the letter Austin sent, just a week before the day Julian came over I wrote my reply and sent it. I wasn’t sure if I was going to get an answer. I even attached my phone number in case he wanted to talk. I tried.

“Calli!” I snapped out of my daze and turned around to see Ale standing by the door with Tom. “Tom says he needs to talk.”

“Uh, I’ll go.” Julian was about to stand up but Tom stopped him.

“You can stay Julian. You’ve been part of Calli’s life since last year.” I nodded my head at Tom to thank him. Julian sat down beside me again waiting for Tom and Alejandra to come sit with us. They sat on the couch across from us. “Well, I don’t know how to say this. Uh, You know I’ve been dating your mom for a few months now and I was wondering if, maybe, if I could ask her to marry me.”

“Marry? As in you’ll be living with us?” He nodded at Alejandra. A big smile plastered on her face once she knew the answer. “Yes!”

“What do you say Calli?” I smiled at them.

“Yes! Yes!” I jumped off the couch to hug Tom. “Yes! Marry her please!”

“I will. As soon as I ask her.” I let go off Tom and turned to look at them. “We’re going to be a family.”

“A family? We’ll be a family!” Alejandra got even more excited hugging me tighter.

After having our moment, we helped Tom set everything up for the proposal. He wanted something nice yet simple. We helped him make dinner including Julian. We set the table before Julian and I ran to the supermarket to buy white lilies. My mom loved flowers especially those considering those were the ones my grandfather gave to her when Alejandra was born.