22. "Thanks mom."

If you’re wondering what happened after prom, I’ll tell you.

Right after making that big scene with Austin in the school gym, I excused myself to talk to Julian. We talked for a few minutes about us, about what happened. He was totally okay with whatever was going to happen. He mentioned that right after graduation he was moving to Harvard University to study. Speaking of graduation, Austin promised to go back to El Paso just to see me receive my diploma. We kept talking and texting right after prom. Just when the day arrived I was woken up by my sister.

“Calli wake up!” I felt some weight on me and groaned. I wasn’t used to waking up like that. Alejandra was getting excited about me graduating but on the other side she was kind of sad because I was leaving. “Calli wake up! It’s graduation day!”

“I know.” I opened my eyes to see my sister right in front of my face. “Whoa! You’re too close.”

“Mom made pancakes.” I groaned and sat up. Why was mom up so early? I turned to look at my phone. It was only nine in the morning. Graduation began at one.

“I’ll be down in a minute.” I jumped out of bed and headed to the bathroom. I did my routine before staring at myself in the mirror. Great. I had a zit right under bottom lip. “This is not how I wanted to start graduation day.”

 After covering up that zit, I headed downstairs like I told Ale. I stepped inside the kitchen to find my mom, Tom, Alejandra and my dad holding a conversation. I smiled at the scene in front of me. Before I could say anything two little boys ran into the kitchen, making their way over to dad as they argued.

“I didn’t!” I chuckled as they continued to argue. One of them wore boy shorts while the other wore jeans. The one with jeans pushed the other one as he tried to get closer to dad. “He’s just a cry baby!”

“Am not!” Dad rubbed his face before jumping off of the stool.

“Kids, we’re not at home so I’m going to ask you both to behave. Your sister is graduating today.” The boys nodded making me smile. They reminded me a lot of me when I got in trouble with dad. “Speaking of your sister, there she is!”

“Calli!” They both came running toward me making my smile grow bigger. “We finally meet you!”

“I know.” I knelt down in front of them taking a better look. “Alright who is who?”

“I’m Timothy and that’s Tanner.” I took a look at Timothy before looking at Tanner. They weren’t so different from each other. Their eyes were different colors. Timothy’s were green while Tanner’s were brown plus Timothy was a bit taller than Tanner.

“You’re very pretty Calli.” I smiled at Tanner.

“Thank you. You boys are very handsome as well.” They exchanged looks before proud smiles showed on their faces. “Did you have breakfast?”

“Janice made pancakes!” They both pointed their fingers at mom making everyone laugh.

“Alright, I’ll eat some pancakes.” I let them go before standing up.

“Extra syrup?” I looked up from the floor to see mom holding the syrup bottle. I simply nodded. I loved my pancakes.

I spent the morning with my family. Timothy and Tanner were gladly telling me about themselves. I learned that Tanner was the oldest even if he was a bit shorter than his brother. Timothy’s favorite number was 20 considering it was the day of his mom’s birthday. They were both six years old and they were just as excited as Alejandra about graduation. I couldn’t blame them. It was graduation after all!