21. "I can't promise that."

“Hi everyone. I’m looking for Calli, Calli Johnson.” I stopped in my tracks as I heard my name. Screams filled the school’s gym, mostly girls’. I slowly turned my head to see Tori looking behind us. Her mouth was wide open as she was surprised. I sighed as I turned my body around to see who was calling my name. Whoa!

“Austin?”

When did he got there? Was he there during the whole dance? The real question was what the heck he was doing there. Why did he come back? Why was he looking for me? I sighed as I took a step back to get away from the commotion. He was going crazy.

“Calli! Please don’t go.” I stopped in my tracks and looked down at the wooden floor. “I came all the way here to say what I wasn’t able to say that night when I called you. I really hope you listen.”

I don't want another pretty face
I don't want just anyone to hold
I don't want my love to go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul

I know that you are something special
To you I'd be always faithful
I want to be what you always needed
Then I hope you'll see the heart in me

I don't want another pretty face
I don't want just anyone to hold
I don't want my love to go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul
You're the one I wanna chase
You're the one I wanna hold
I won't let another minute go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul
Your beautiful soul, yeah

You might need time to think it over
But I'm just fine moving forward
I'll ease your mind
If you give me the chance
I will never make you cry c'mon let's try

I don't want another pretty face
I don't want just anyone to hold
I don't want my love to go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul
You're the one I wanna chase
You're the one I wanna hold
I won't let another minute go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul

Am I crazy for wanting you?
Maybe do you think you could want me too?
I don't wanna waste your time
Do you see things the way I do?
I just wanna know that you feel it too
There is nothing left to hide

I don't want another pretty face
I don't want just anyone to hold
I don't want my love to go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul
You're the one I wanna chase
You're the one I wanna hold
I won't let another minute go to waste
I want you and your soul

I don't want another pretty face
I don't want just anyone to hold
I don't want my love to go to waste
I want you and your beautiful soul

Ooooooo
Beautiful soul, yeah

Oooooo, yeah
Your beautiful soul
Yeah

Right after he finished the sing the gym was filled with clapping and cheering. I watched as he handed the mic to someone I recognized as Alex. Hold up! Alex was helping him? Austin jumped off the stage practically ignoring every single person asking him for a picture. I took a look at his outfit. He was wearing a black suit, tie and shoes. I turned around to walk away when a hand caught my wrist stopping me.

“Please let me go.” I said loud enough for both of us to hear.

“Please let me talk.” I shook my head without looking at him. “Calli, look at me.”

“Why?” I didn’t move. I couldn’t move because once I did I would be at his feet and as much as I liked Austin, I wanted to forget about him. The fact of him being away from Texas killed me and now that he was there it killed me even more.

“Because someone once told me that I should be able to make my own decisions. And that someone was you.” I sighed before swallowing a big lump that had formed in my throat. I decided to turn around to look at him. He didn’t change a lot in those months I didn’t see him. His hair was a bit longer, his chest looked bigger and his eyes had that sparkle that went missing when he did. “Promise me you won’t run away once I begin. I couldn’t handle coming here for nothing.”

“I can’t promise that.” I heard him sigh.

“Look Calli, I came all the way here just to prove a point to myself and to you. I know that we met just because I went missing and ended up in your basement but I learned a lot from you during that time. I learned that deep down in that mind of yours, you know how I feel about you. I also learned that you love drawing more than yourself, you love taking care of the people around you. And inside of you, there’s a girl I met months ago that makes me go crazy every time I think about her.”

“Bullshit.” Austin was taken aback by my choice of words. “That girl is gone. Don’t you get it? She tried to forget you because she knew you were never coming back. She turned into this. She turned into a monster who drew the same pair of hands every once in a while. Everyone thought I was going crazy back then but guess what? I’d rather go crazy now then wait for someone to say what I am. Go back home Austin. You deserve better.”

“Cal,” I held my hand in front of his face to stop him. “Please listen.”

“What’s there to listen Austin? If you really feel something for me then tell all these people and see if they listen.” He licked his lips before looking around us. He stood up straight as he began to step back. “What are you doing?”

“You want me to tell all of your classmates, don’t you?” He raised an eyebrow at me with a smirk plastered on his face. “Alright everyone listen up! That girl over there, yes Calli Johnson, thinks I don’t care about her or that my feelings for her aren’t real. Guess what? They are! They are the most honest feelings I’ve ever had for a girl. Yes, I made a mistake into thinking she would still like me after all this time. But you know what? I don’t regret kissing her. I don’t regret holding her hand. In fact, I don’t regret falling in love with you Calli Johnson. Yes, I’m in love with you. There I said it! Are you happy?”

I turned around to look at Julian. He was watching everything. And the look of his face described how he felt. He was smiling. He knew the story about Austin being missing. He knew I had feelings for him yet he wanted to date me. He pointed his chest and then at me. I remembered what he once told me. No matter what you decided, always listen to your heart. He’s the smart one. I gave him a quick smile before turning around. Austin was waiting for me to say something but I guess words weren’t good enough in a situation. I shook my head as I smiled and took off my shoes. They weren’t going to help with what I was going to do. I jogged towards Austin, practically hating my dress because it kind of bothered me. Once I approached him, I wrapped my arms around his torso. I looked up at him and noticed how confused he was. I didn’t hesitate and stood on my toes to plants my lips on him. I felt Austin tense under my touch before kissing back. I felt something inside me. Warmth, love and happiness. It felt like my life had gone back to normal again. Hesitantly, I pulled away from Austin. He blinked a few times before smiling down at me.

“I’m happy now.” I raised my hand and placed it on his cheek. 

This was one of my favorite chapters in the whole story! The ending made me pretty sensitive when I wrote last year. *sighs* How more many chapters to end this? Make sure to vote and comment! THERE'S A VIDEO OF AUSTIN SINGING BEAUTIFUL SOUL ON THE SIDE!