07. "I'm sorry about last night."

It had been a month since Austin was staying at the basement. And Christmas was only two weeks away. We had our annual family dinner for Thanksgiving. Like usual, I lied to mom so I could give Austin something to eat. Mom still didn’t know and Ale had changed her daily routine. We got home from school, she did her homework if she had any and then we would head to the basement to spend time with Austin. It was a regular Friday night and I was at the basement with Austin. I had some laundry to do so I took advantage of that considering mom had a late shift.

“Have you tried searching for my family, Callie?” I looked up from the washer. Austin was sitting on top of the drier as put more clothes inside the washer.

“Yeah. I found a way to get you back home.” He nodded. “Your mom sent a message to some people. There were some phone numbers.”

“What did she say?” I looked down at the washer and sighed. Maybe I should tell him now.

“It’s a long story.” I looked up at Austin. He was staring at something behind me before looking at me.

“I have time for it.” He smiled. I still didn’t get how he managed to smile while being in his situation.

I took my time explaining Austin who he was and what his mom said about him. I started with the whole being famous story. I’d done some research on Austin Mahone and found out how he got discovered. He constantly nodded letting me know he was listening. I talked about his manager and body guard. He didn’t seem to remember them well though. When I mentioned his friends, Alex, Zach and Robert, his eyes lit up.

“So I’m famous?” I nodded. He began to chuckle. “I can’t be famous. I’m probably the biggest loser.”

“You’re not. To be honest you have an amazing voice.” He raised an eyebrow. “I’m not kidding.”

“How am I supposed to be famous? I don’t remember who that Dave guy is or that Rock you mentioned.” I chuckled.

“His name is Rocco. He’s your manager.” Austin nodded.

“Yeah. Yeah. What about Alex? Is his last name Constancio?” I swore my heart stopped.

I knew a guy named Andrew Constancio. We sort of dated but he broke it off when he found out I was way too young for him. He was very nice but still he was older than me by two years.

“I think so. Austin you’re famous. I’ve seen one of your videos and you’re good.” He shook his head and hopped off the dryer.

“I can’t be famous Callie. I’ve been a loser my whole life.” I sighed and walked over to him. “I am a loser.”

“You’re not Austin. You think you’re a loser because being famous was the part of your life that you forgot. You have fans that support you.” He shook his head and walked away from me.

“I get that you’re trying to help, Callie but I can’t be famous.” I sighed and stood there in my spot.

“Alright Austin, time to sleep.” He looked up from the floor and his eyes met mine. “Rest, you need it.”

“I know.” I nodded and turned around to leave. I was about to climb up the stairs when I heard Austin again. “Callie wait!”

I turned around only to be embraced and something caressing my lips. It took a while for me to realize what was going on. Austin was kissing me. I would be lying if I said it didn’t feel nice but knowing this was Austin made it awkward for me. I turned my head to the side, letting him to face my cheek.

“I’m sorry Austin.” I gently pushed him away. “Don’t do that again. You’re confused.”

He didn’t say a word and I didn’t dare looking at him. As much as I liked having Austin around, I couldn’t let him or I get too attached. He would be going home soon and I would stay here in El Paso. All that we could be was friends or strangers after all.

The next morning I woke up earlier than usual. I dialed Tori’s number and woke her up. She knew my plan and I’ll I had to do was get the numbers. Austin would be going home soon. I wrote down the numbers and slipped them inside my pocket.

“Callie?” I turned my head to see my little sister standing by the hall. “Why are you up so early?”

“I’m used to waking up early in the morning Ale.” She rubbed her eyes and entered the kitchen.

“Is Austin awake?” I knelt down in front of her after making sure the stove was off.

“I don’t know. Do you want to go and check on him?” She nodded with a smile on her face. I gently pushed her out of the kitchen and served breakfast. I left some for mom before taking the tray and placing three plates of breakfast.

As I walked down the stairs, I could hear Alejandra singing. My little sister wasn’t the best singer but she loved singing those kids songs she heard on the TV. She was singing Twinkle Twinkle and I couldn’t help but stop on my way down when I heard another voice singing the same song. It was Austin.

“You have a nice voice Austin!” I heard them laugh. The thought of Austin being happy made me smile. He deserved to be happy. He needed to.

“Thanks, I think.” I rolled my eyes and continued my way down the stairs.

“Good morning Austin.” I walked over to the washer and placed the tray on top of it. I turned around to find my sister and Austin sitting across from each other looking at me. “I thought the three of us could have breakfast down here.”

“Yes!” Alejandra jumped up and ran over to me. I chuckled and looked at Austin. He looked worried. I flashed him a quick smile and turned to give my sister her breakfast. She took her plate with a smile on her face and went to sit with Austin again. “Aren’t you going to eat Austin?”

“Uh, sure.” He stood up and made his way over. I grabbed his plate and handed it to him once he got closer. I watched as he took a bite of the omelet I made and then turned to look at me. “I’m sorry about last night.”

“It’s okay.” He raised an eyebrow at me as he wanted to confirm it was true. “It is, really.”

“Okay.” I turned to grab my plate and went to sit with Alejandra. Austin stayed close to the washer. He finished his meal and left the plate on the tray before coming over and sitting with us.

“So what are we doing today?” I looked up from my plate. Alejandra stared at me with hope in her eyes. I looked at Austin who was lost in thought as always. I then remembered that our mother had an early shift.

“I think I know.” A smirked showed on my face as I looked at my sister and Austin. My little sister smirked too. She knew what I was thinking about.