03. "That's all I remember."

I stood there as the boy in front of me did the same while staring back at me. I wondered why he was wearing one of dad’s old shirts. It looked huge on him which meant he wasn’t so big. I took a step forward to approach him but he shrank back. I was taken aback by his action. Was he thinking I would hurt him?

“I don’t want to hurt you.” He looked up from his feet and met my gaze. Something had happened to this boy and he wasn’t going to be that easy to talk to. “I just want to help.”

He didn’t say a word. Instead, he took a few steps forward. I found the string that turned on the lights of the basement and pulled it down. When I finally got to see his face a lot better, I noticed a few bruises on his cheek and eye followed by a cut on his bottom lip. I offered my hand for him to take and he continued taking steps forward.

“Come on.” He was finally five feet away from me. I decided to carefully take a step forward still holding out my hand. He took a few steps forward and took my hand in his. “Are you okay?”

“I, uh, I think so. Yeah.” I looked at him. I noticed his eyes were hazel and that somehow they lost that spark in them. “Where am I?”

“You’re in El Paso, Texas.” He nodded. “Are you lost or something?”

“I don’t know. I remember walking around when something hard hit my head.” I was now confused. This boy who looked my age somehow was lost, kidnapped or left his home without a care.

“Are you hungry?” He was looking away from me but as soon as I finished my sentence his eyes were on me. He nodded quickly. “I’m going to get you something. Are you staying here?”

“Uh, yes.” I nodded and let go off his hand.

“I’ll be right back.” He nodded and slowly turned around.

I headed back upstairs and to the kitchen. I grabbed some bread, cheese, ham, and butter and made a sandwich for the mysterious boy in my basement. I couldn’t help but wonder what happened to him. Those bruises and the cut on his lip weren’t from falling. Well maybe but what if someone hurt him? I shook my head trying to relax myself and wrapped the sandwich with a napkin and got a bottle of juice from the fridge. I headed back to the basement to see the boy sitting on the other side of the room. I walked over and sat down beside him.

“Here you go.” He jumped a bit, startled by my presence. I handed him the sandwich. He stared at the napkin for a while before unwrapping it and taking one bite. A soft moan escaped his lips making me chuckle. “You were hungry weren’t you?”

“Yes.” I handed him the bottle of juice and he opened it. He took a big gulp and placed it in front of him. I took a better look at him and noticed his ear was pierced.

“What’s your name?” He turned to look at me.

“Uh, I think it's Austin. Yes, Austin.” I nodded. I sat there while he ate. The silence wasn’t awkward to be honest and this stranger didn’t seem to be one.

“Do you remember how you got here?” He shook his head.

“I think I went unconscious after being hit.” I gave him a look. “That’s all I remember.”

“How did you get lost?” He looked up at the ceiling in thought. “You don’t remember?”

“I’m trying but I don’t remember anything. I think I was on my way to see my girlfriend.” I looked down at my wrist to see my watch. I had ten minutes to get ready and leave to pick up Alejandra from school.

“Uh, I have to go pick up my little sister. Do you mind staying here?” He shrugged. “I’ll be back later.”

“Sure. Thanks, uh.” I stood up and let out a laugh. I realized I hadn’t told him my name.