chapter 64

The six hours flight to Illinois was the worst journey Raymond had ever made. He couldn't stop fidgeting, he couldn't keep calm. It felt like a ride to hell and he could feel the anguish of the hot flames on his skin.

He needed a distraction and so he thought of Jasmine. He imagined her in his arms, burying his face in her hair and taking in her intoxicating fragrance. He imagined his lips on hers, tasting the sweetness of her mouth that melted like candy on his tongue.
Thinking about her made him feel relaxed and his nerves calmed.

He drove from the airport to the address his mum had emailed him.
He parked his car by the driveway and switched off the engine.
He glanced towards the house. It was a one story, four bedroom house with precast concrete walls.
The lawn looked freshly mowed. purple and white lilacs, primroses and purple hibiscus grew on the small garden by the porch. A black sedan was parked by the garage and he knew that someone was in the house.

Raymond gripped the wheel hard, his eyes concentrated on the house. His fearful mind persuaded him to leave but he remembered Jasmine's assuring words.
He was there already and there was no going back.

"You can do this Raymond. You can do this." He mumbled and let out a heavy sigh.

He let go of the wheel, got out from the car and walked to the house, taking slow steps. He got to the door and reached for the doorbell but hesitated. He felt cold and sweaty. He wanted to run but he couldn't work his legs. He felt weak on the knees and could feel the sweat building up.

'What if they don't wanna see me?
What if they despise and hate me?
What if I'm making a mistake?
What if.....'

His mind froze as the door opened and his eyes met a woman behind the door. His breath caught in his throat as he stared at the woman without blinking.

The elder woman was dressed in a yellow cardigan and blue jeans. Her brown hair was curled and loosed to her shoulders and her grey eyes looked tired.

She was beautiful and he could see the resemblance. He could see Ella in the woman. His heart thumped hard, sending cold chills hurtling through his veins.

The woman furrowed her brows, glancing at him with questioning eyes. Just when he wanted the ground to swallow him up, her grey eyes lit up in recognition and her jaw dropped as she gasped in shock.

"Ray.. Raymond?" Ella's mum stammered. She couldn't believe who was standing before her. Raymond looked different since she last time she'd seen him but she could never forget such a face.

"Clara." Saying her name choked him hard and it was at that moment he realized how wrong he was for not visiting Ella's family.

"Raymond!" Her eyes went wide in excitement and smiling happily, she let go of the door and embraced him.

He was shocked, surprised, speechless....every emotion that could leave one numb for a moment. He wrapped his arms around her as he held her tight.

She let go of him and cupped his face in her palms. "It's really you!" Her voice held so much joy and relief, one would think she was holding her own son.

"Yes it's me." He nodded.

"After all the years, you're finally here." She sighed deeply, beaming with joy.

He swallowed hard, not knowing what to say.

"Come in." She grabbed his hand as she led him inside the house.
The living room and dining area had vaulted ceilings, faux silk curtains and the walls were white.

Holding his hand, she led him to the red couch and they sat down. "I can't believe you're here. After all these years you're finally here." She said again, holding his hand.