chapter 15

It was around 8pm and Jasmine was seated at the dining table with her laptop.

The busy streets outside were filled with loud noises of vehicles echoing through the air, distant hip pop music, voices of people talking, laughing and arguing in raised voices that could leave one awake half the night. Cool breeze blew into the room through the windows brushing Jasmine's skin smoothly.
"Devil's work" by Joyner Lucas was playing through her phone when there was a knock at the door.

"Who's it?" Jasmine asked as she kept her eyes on the screen of her laptop.

"It's me." Christain replied.

Getting up slowly from the chair, she walked up to the door and opened it.

"Hey." Christain greeted with a smile as he walked in and took off his shoes.

"Hey." She gave him a smile as she closed the door. "Why didn't you use your keys?" she asked, looking at him.

"Too tired to get it out from my bag," he said with a grunt as he took off his socks and tossed it on top of his shoes.

"Anyways, how was your first day at work?" She inquired as she walked back to the table and sat down, looking at him.

"It was cool. Didn't do much today since it's my first day. But hey, I got my own desk," he told her as he dropped his bag on the floor and sat down on the couch.

"That's nice." She nodded with a smile as she turned back to her laptop.

"Is Christine home?" he asked taking out his phone from his pocket.

"Nope," she replied as she typed on the keyboard, keeping her eyes locked on the screen.

He sighed tiredly as he got up and walked up to her. Placing a hand on the chair she sat on, he leaned closer to her as he stared at the screen of her laptop.

"What are you looking at?" he asked, when he noticed a website she was going through.

"Just checking out for any job vacancy that's available," she told him, scratching her chin lightly.

He nodded as he stood straight. "Any luck yet?" he questioned.

Exhaling deeply, "None yet." She shook her head as she folded her arms, leaning back on the chair with an exhausted look on her face.

He nodded and said nothing. He hated seeing her frustrated and wished there was a way he could help her out.

"Could you order us some pizza, please," she said

He furrowed his brows."You didn't cook anything for dinner?"

"We are out of groceries," she told him
"I'll hit the mall tomorrow."

"Okay." He sighed and as he held his phone and made the order. He went back and picked up his bag and went straight to his room.

Ten minutes later, there was rattling of keys outside and then the door opened and Christine walked in.

she was dressed in a black hoodie and black baggy trouser. The only clothes she had in her closet were black hoodies, black tops, black ripped jeans and black baggy trousers. She loved the colour black. Her swollen lip had reduced and the bruises on her cheeks could be seen as a scratch.

Jasmine paused the song that was playing as she got up and walked up to Christine, folding her arms.

Kicking her sneakers off, Christine avoided Jasmine's gaze and tried to walk past her but Jasmine grabbed unto her arm gently and stopped her from walking away.