Chapter 18

"What are you doing here, Sirius?" I asked him when I found him sitting alone in Buckbeak's room.

"Oh, just, simply," he said, looking at the hippogriff.

I sighed and sat next to him in silence.

"You kids are going back to Hogwarts," Sirius said after a few minutes passed, a sad chuckle leaving his lips.

"You will come too. Perhaps not in the best of the situation but you will," I said, just not wanting to think what would happen at the end of this year.

"You think I will?" he asked with happiness tinting his tone.

"I know you will. But for that, you have to be confined here for a while,"

"I can't think of a reason why,"

"I will help you - maybe something relating to the fact you are fugitive,"

"My figure will always be tainted as the prisoner of Azkaban, wouldn't it?"

"When we clear your name after everything is over, you will be proud,"

"Proud to be locked in prison for twelve years?"

"Proud that you didn't lose your sanity, proud of the godfather you were to Harry nonetheless,"

"It was scary there,"

"I think I have a hint of that,"

"Its ten times far worse here than there,"

"Is being safe here with at least a few visits from you Godson, worse?"

"No, but being told how much of a traitor and disappointment you are and reminding you of things you desperately wanted to forget is,"

"It will all get over. Will you promise me one thing?"

Sirius looked at me for the first time since I entered, his eyebrows drawn together in confusion, "I don-what?"

"Will you promise me you won't leave this place?" I asked, holding out my pinky. He looked at the finger, suddenly tears filling his eyes and a dazed smile forming on his face as though he was reminiscing some fond moments of innocence in his childhood.

Without hesitation, he wrapped his own finger around mine, "I promise,"

When Snape came to Grimmauld Place, I was sitting at the table with Sirius just chatting.

"Black," a cold voice hissed.

Sirius gritted his teeth, "Snape,"

I coughed to announce my presence and both the men tensed and sat opposite each other, glaring.

"Oh, Professor Snape?" Mrs Weasley said when she entered the kitchen.

"I need to have a word with Potter," Snape said, looking at Mrs Weasley.

"Oh, I will bring him," she said, rushing upstairs.

Once Harry came to the kitchen tentatively, he shot me a look of pure confusion, I blinked and passed him a warm smile.

"Sit down, Potter," Snape said.

"You know," said Sirius, tipping his chair and looking at the ceiling, "I think I'd prefer it if you didn't give orders here, Snape. It's my house, you see."

"I was supposed to see you alone, Potter," said Snape, with a sneer, "but Black -"

"I'm his godfather," said Sirius, a proud tone to his voice.