Brienne

Two days after Tyrion's Trial

"You're a fool." Jaime hissed as she clipped her long sword onto her hip. 

"I'm saving your brother," Brienne replied. He should be thanking her. 

"Why, exactly, are you risking life and limp for my brother?" 

"Because he helped Lady Sansa, and if I have any hope of finding her I will need his knowledge." She picked up her helm and placed it over her bright blonde hair. 

Jaime let out an exasperated sigh. "He doesn't know where she is."

"But he may know where she is going." Brienne started towards the exit of the tent, Jaime following behind her. She knew that she was taking a great risk for a man who may not be able to help her, but he was her only lead. 

Another part of her felt indebted to Tyrion Lannister. She had heard the story of Joffrey's cruelty, and she had also heard the stories of Tyrion defending Lady Sansa. In a way, she was thankful that he was there to protect her before she had been able to arrive. 

As she walked towards the arena, the crowd taunted her. She didn't mind their insults, she had heard them all before. 

On the opposite side, Ser Osmund Kettleback stood. His armor was polished and reflected the sun like a mirror. He held a broad sword in his hands. He had a smile on his face and confidence in his eyes. 

Her eye's migrated to the stands. She met eyes with Cersei Lannister, whose eyes were full of disdain. Her son sat on her left. His smile was twisted into something resembling a snarl. 

Brienne's eyes continued down the stands until they met Lord Tyrion's. He looked terrified. His fate was in the hands of a woman that he did not know. She could not blame him.

She got into position on her side of the arena.

"In the sight of the gods and men, we gather to ascertain the guilt or innocence of this man, Tyrion Lannister." The grand maester spoke. "May the mother grant him mercy, may the father give him justice, may the warrior guide the hand of our champion." A horn sounded and the maester left the arena.

She and Kettleback stood, facing each other for what felt like a minute, neither one wanting to make the first move.

"Get on with it!" The king shouted.

Kettle back rushed towards her with more speed than she anticipated. She swerved out of the path of his broad sword. She aimed a kick at his hip, which knocked him off balance. He recovered quickly but awarded her enough time to position herself so her back was to the center of the arena.

He rushed again. Brienne noticed how he always stepped forward with his left foot before he rushed. She jumped back, dodging the attack. 

As he stepped forward with his left foot, she moved to the side. His momentum propelled him forward and before he could stop, she placed a blow at his side. 

A cry of pain escaped him. Her sword had left a gash in his armor. Blood trickled from the wound. 

The gash slowed him down and he kept his weight on his other side, most likely to relieve some of the pain. 

This knocked him off balance, making him an easy target. Brienne used that to her advantage. She attacked as quickly as she could, aiming a blow, then dancing out of his range. She continued this attack until he was on the ground.

The gods had spoken, Tyrion Lannister was innocent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She waited for Jaime near the stables, as his note that she found in her chamber had instructed. 

She saw the familiar figure approach with a young boy and Tyrion Lannister following behind him. "Lady Brienne!" Tyrion greeted, a smile on his face.

Brienne winced at the title. "My Lord." 

"I wanted to formally thank you for being my champion and clearing my name," Tyrion said with a smile. "This is Podrick." He nodded to the boy. "He was my squire and served me well throughout the years. I hope that he does the same for you." 

Brienne's mouth almost fell open as she looked at the boy who must have been barely older than one and four. "I thank you, Lord Tyrion, but I don't need a squire." The boy's eyes fell to the ground. 

"Of course you do," Jaime spoke up.

"He'll slow me down." 

"I owe him many debts, he will not be safe here. You'll be keeping him out of harm's way. Its chivalry!" Tyrion explained.

"I won't slow you don't Ser!" The boy swore. Brienne couldn't tell if she preferred Ser or Lady. Podrick seemed to notice his mistake immediately. "...M'lady. I promise I will serve you well."

"See! He is a good lad, you'll get along." Tyrion promised. 

"Fine. Podrick, please prepare the horses." Brienne sighed and the boy rushed into action. 

"Lord Tyrion, I must ask, do you have any clue as to where your wife went?"

Tyrion's face grew dark. "She never told me. I didn't even know that she was leaving, but in truth, there are only two places she would go. She had an aunt in the Vale and a bastard brother on the wall."

Brienne had hoped for a more definitive answer, but at least this would point her in the general direction of north. "Thank you, Lord Tyrion. I swear to find her and protect her." 

"Good. She deserved better than she got here." He said softly.

"Will you stay here?" Brienne asked.

"Gods no! If I stay, my nephew will figure out a new plot to have me killed. I think I might travel to Pentos. See the world." He let a grim smile fall upon his lips. "Thank you, again. I hope that you find what you are looking for." He turned and walked towards Podrick to say his final goodbyes. 

Jaime stood in front of her, a sword in his hands. He offered it to her. It was lighter than any other sword she had ever held. "Valyrian steel." She whispered. 

"It's yours," Jaime said.

Brienne's eyes shot up from the blade, meeting Jaime's green eyes. "I cant---."

"It was forged from Ned Stark's sword, Ice. Now you will use it to defend Ned Stark's daughters. Arya is probably dead. Use it to find Sansa and get her somewhere safe."

"Thank you. I will find her, for Lady Catelyn and for you."

A sad smile formed on Jaime's lips. "They say the best swords have names, any ideas?"

"Oathkeeper."