-ˋ 45

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH HE SURPRISES HER

. . .

The dining table was scattered with gravy-covered plates, any dishes of leftovers covered so that Treacle wouldn't get them and the family had migrated through to the living room, the muggle radio playing music in the background.

There was no need to worry about Treacle, the cat curled up beside Sirius and glaring at Peter - the teens had joked that it was because of his animagus form when Fleamont and Euphemia weren't looking, which was most likely the case.

They had spent the morning opening presents, which had managed and now they were enjoying the rest of the afternoon in a food-filled peace. 

With the world around them in such a situation as it was, even despite the Potters' money, the presents hadn't been in the same abundance as the year before, but it didn't matter at all. One of them was missing, but they knew he was safe and sound tucked up in a house with his parents.

"I think I'm gonna get some fresh air." Tiger rather suddenly announced, her eyes trained on the window outside. It was slowly beginning to snow again, and even if she hated just how wet and cold it was, she liked how pretty it was, how peaceful it was.

"I'll join you in a minute." James watched as she nodded and slipped out of the room. From Sirius's lap, Treacle got up and stretched, trotting away after her owner. 

"So, are you planning on telling her soon?" Sirius asked, gazes instantly flickering over to the boy, James's eyes widening. The dark-haired boy took this of a look of questioning, and continued. "About the keys. And the house." James facepalmed. "Oh - oh Merlin."

"About the what?" Fleamont seemed far more awake now than ever, the cup of amber alcohol in his hand. "James you didn't."

"I need somewhere to move to when I graduate, okay?" The Potter boy had struggled to his feet, tugging the keys out of his pocket and holding them out in front of them, finger looped through the dark red velvet ribbon that he had stolen from Tiger's collection of supplies. "Besides.. it's kind of fitting."

"In what way?" Euphemia seemed to already know, just waiting for her rather impulsive and idiot-in-love son to confirm it. 

"It's the one we got arrested for breaking into."

"The one you were what, sorry?" Fleamont stood up now, looking up at the (slightly) taller James. "You got arrested? How many times do I have to tell you that if you're doing something stupid, you don't get caught."

"Oh so this is where he gets it from." Peter commented, Sirius nodding slowly, looking between the father and son. James looked relatively like his father as well, a good mix of his mother's features in there as well. He was so their son that it actually hurt, and Sirius was glad that it wasn't the same for him, as was Peter. 

"Definitely." Sirius swallowed down the slight guiltiness that he felt after accidentally letting Fleamont and Euphemia know.

"Well go on then." Sirius zoned back into the conversation to find that the Potter woman was now on her feet, pushing James gently towards the door that the Howell girl had disappeared through seconds before. "Go - go ask her." Euphemia encouraged her son, the forever-confident smile returning to James's face as he did just that.

But James's hands were shaking as he approached the kitchen, where he found the back door unlocked and Tiger stood leaning against the small brick exit way, her hand circled around a glass that was full of firewhiskey. 

"How you feeling?" James slid an arm around her waist, pulling the girl over to him and hugging her closer. It had been a funny Christmas for Tiger, the first properly without any influence of her family.

"Much better." Tiger grinned up at him and took a sip of her glass, before bouncing slightly on the balls of her feet. "You still haven't given me a present, you know?"

"I've been getting it ready." James replied. He'd actually trying to work up the nerve to give her the keys and let her know that he had bought the house they had been caught trespassing in. "So remember how we got arrested that one time." He began.

Assuming it was a change of conversation simply because the Potter boy was still finishing up his plans, Tiger nodded and hummed her reply. Of course she did, who would she be to forget. 

"And remember how it was because of that really pretty house?" James continued, Tiger twisting up to face him with a look of confusion. "Do you remember the house?" He repeated, holding up his palm and opening it, the keys laying flat on his palm.

Tiger gaped at his, pushing his shoulder just slightly. "You didn't buy that house." Her jaw dropped as she picked up the key and stared at it. "James Fleamont Potter. Did you buy us a house?"

"Well we live together already, and we're gonna need somewhere after Hogwarts." James nudged her. "You're not upset with me right? You just liked it so much and I thought you would be happy to move in with me.. if not then it's completely fine. I-"

She just kissed him in reply.