You're not my sister

Three days remaining at in this hell hole.  Today I am breaking things off with Kale.  I am dreading the conversation and the confusion.  I found him coming in from outside, and I pulled him aside, into our room.  "We need to talk." I said as I shut the door.  His face twisted with worry and confusion.  "What's wrong?" he asked.

I shook my head, "I can't keep doing this to you." I whispered, and plopped down on the edge of my bed.  I put my face in my hands, avoiding his stare.   I felt him sit beside me, and he placed his hand on my back.  "What is it?  I'm sure whatever it is, we can work through it."

I shook his hand off of me, "Don't be nice to me right now.  I don't deserve it.  Just stop!"

                "Jenny, what are you talking about?"

                "Just stop being nice to me."

                "What's going on?" he pushed.

I let the first tear fall, "I'm confused."

                "About...?"

I lifted my head up to take a breath, "You and-"

                "Aaron?"

I hesitated before I nodded.  I waited for him to explode, and maybe punch something.  But he sat there calmly, not saying anything.

                "I'm so sorry, Kale." I sobbed.

                "Were you seeing him behind my back?" he asked as if he was out of breath.

                "Not really."

He turned to me, "Not really?"

                "We made-out a few times, but we weren't actually dating or anything.  I just need some time to figure things out."

He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, "I understand.  I'll give you all the time you need."

                "I don't want this." I said, shaking my head.

He looked confused, "Then why are you breaking up with me?"

                "Because, I feel I have to.  I can't keep kissing Aaron, and sneaking around just to see him.  It hurts you, and you don't even know about it.  I want us to be able to be together, and trust each other.  I don't want you to not be able to trust me when I'm with Aaron."

                "Jenny, I wish you would have told me sooner.  That way I could have fixed whatever I was doing wrong."

                "You're not doing anything wrong!  You're absolutely perfect, Kale."

                "Then why would you rather be with Aaron?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but I didn't know what to say.  "I've always had feelings for Aaron.  He just chose to admit them when I was getting close to you."

                "So he pretty much just thought if he can't have you, no one else can?"

I never really thought about it, "No, it's not like that." I defended.

He raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure about that?"

I sat there, soaking in the silence as he got up and left.  I sat there and thought about everything.  But as I thought, I knew Aaron really did love me.

                I stood from the bed, and made my way to the bathroom to clean myself up.  I fixed my hair, and put on a little make-up to cover up my puffy red eyes.  Once I finished, I made my way downstairs.  Right when I reached the bottom, Aaron grasped my arms.  "Why are you crying?"