I can't do it anymore. I don't want to.

I could feel Aaron’s eyes burning a hole on the side of my head.  I refused to look at him.  I know he was waiting for the truth, and I was ready to give him a lie.  But that’s not what slipped out of my mouth, “I made a mistake…” I trailed off, and waited for him to explode.

All that slipped his lips was a loud sigh.

I took the chance to look in his direction.  His face in his hands, and his legs bouncing uncontrollably. 

I reached out to touch him, but jerked my hand back.  I felt my bottom lip quiver, and tears stung my eyes.  “I’m so sorry, Aaron—”

He held up his hand, cutting me off.  “And when were you planning on telling me about this?”  He turned to me, his face flushed, and he was red with frustration.

I opened my mouth to speak, “I was going to tell you, I swear.  I wanted to tell you tonight.”

He laughed, and there was nothing humorous about it.  “I can’t believe you.”  He stood from the bed, and swung the door open, slamming it behind him.  I slumped on the bed, putting my face in my hands.  I let out the first sob, and curled into a ball, letting out plenty more. 

                I didn’t want to lose Aaron over this.  That’s why I chose not to tell him.  Losing Aaron is something I can’t live with.  But I have a feeling I’m going to be needing to find out how to.  I crawled to the top of the bed, curling back into the ball.  I rested my cheek on the top of my hand, and stared at the wall.  All I could hear were my uneven breaths that seemed to choke out.  My eyes burned, and I couldn’t cry anymore.  My eyes were barely opened.  I put my free hand to my face, feeling my cheeks that were wet with tears.  I wiped at them with the palm of my hand, but my cheek never seemed to become dry.

                I took a deep breath, closing my eyes, and exhaling slowly. I don’t know if I should go home or not.  If he wanted me to, he would have told me to leave, instead of him walking out.  I’m sure he’s still in the apartment.  Not sure which part, but I didn’t hear the front door open, or slam closed.  I just lay there, alone with my thoughts.  I knew better to chase Aaron when he’s angry, so I didn’t.  I closed my eyes, hoping her would return in a matter of minutes.  When he didn’t, I soon fell asleep.

He stood in front of me, just a few feet away.  He was smiling, and waving in my direction.  I think we are in his house.  He nudged his head in the direction of a hallway, and took off running.  Before I knew what was happening, I took off after him.  I could only see the sleeve of his shirt as he turned the corner.  No matter how fast, I ran, I couldn’t catch up with him. 

                Finally, I stopped at the end of the hall.  He stood further away, waving and smiling.  Why can’t I catch up to him?  He’s not that fast.  I walked toward him slowly; he backed up further until he was pressed against the wall.  Still, as I continued to walk, he would move further away from me. That’s when he took off running again.  He went down a hallway I didn’t even know existed.  I caught my breath, and took off after him.  “Aaron!” I cried, but he had no intentions on slowing down.  The house was dark, and I didn’t have a great sense of direction.

                I tripped over my own feet, and fell flat on y stomach, knocking the breath out of me.  I curled into a ball, he drew in raspy breaths.  I floor was hard and cold.  I could hear Aaron’s faint laugh in the distance.  Clearly, too far off to reach.  I placed my palms on the cold, hardwood floors, and pushed myself up with a groan.  After I composed myself, I looked up.  I didn’t expect to look into the eyes of Aaron’s father.  His lips pulled into a crooked smirk.  His eyes were dark pools, and his hand grasped a bottle in the other.