Goodbyes

*8 months later*

I’ve finally graduated.  I can’t believe I’ve finally graduated high school.  I look back at the past year, and I’m glad I made it this far.  Things have been going good finally, knock on wood.  My parents are proud of me, Hayden and Aaron are also proud of me.  And I’m proud of myself.  With everything that’s happened, I pulled it together and finished.

                After the graduation ceremony let out, I had to take a few pictures.  My mom made me take pictures with Hayden, and a few other classmates I graduated with.  I eventually found Lea in the crowd, and ran to her.  I wrapped my arms tight around her, “I’m going to miss you.” Her voice was muffled by my hair.  I squeezed her tighter for a second and let go.  “I’m going to miss you, too.”  I let the first tear fall.  Her cheeks were red, and she lifted a hand to wipe away her tears.  I hugged her again quickly, and then had my parents take a picture.

                After pictures were taken, Lea and I wondered off.  “You’re coming for dinner tonight, right?” I asked.

She nodded.  “Of course, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

It was quiet for a few minutes.  “Have you told Aaron yet?” she asked.

I shook my head.  “I’m going to talk to him tonight.”  I was worried about it.  I’ve been accepted into Columbia University in New York.  Not an easy school to get into.  I’ve decided I didn’t want to go, because I was leaving so much behind.  “Well, I’m not sure if I’m going to tell him.”

She looked at me curiously.  “Why would you do that?  You’re just going to leave without saying anything?”

I shook my head, “No.  I’m not going.”

Her eyes widened.  “You have to!  Do you realize—?”

                “I realize it’s a great opportunity.  I just don’t want to leave what I have here.  Everything is perfect.  And if Aaron find out I’ve been accepted, he’ll make sure I go.”

                “That’s good—”

                “No, it’s not.  He changed colleges for me, and I can do the same.”

She looked at me.  She had a sad smile.  “You deserve this though.”

                “So did Aaron.”

She took a deep breath, exhaling slowly.  “Just tell him.  Maybe he won’t let you go.”

She obviously doesn’t know Aaron.  I think she’s just trying to make me feel better.  “Maybe.” I perked up a little.  I didn’t want to talk about it anymore.

                Lea’s name was being called by her parents, and she left to go with them.  I would see her tonight at dinner, so I was okay with it.  When I turned around, I saw Aaron walking in this direction.  I pushed a smile on my face, and ran towards him.  I jumped in his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck.  “I didn’t think you’d be here.” I said.  I pulled back a little, catching his gaze.

He smiled.  “I couldn’t miss you graduate.”  He pulled my face up, living a small kiss on my lips.

                “I’m glad you’re here.  Where’s Matty?”

Just then I heard my name being called by a little boy.  I dropped my arms from around Aaron, and turned to my side.  Matt was running towards me full speed.  I opened my arms and he jumped into them with no problem.  “I’ve missed you, Matty.” I whispered in his ear.  He giggled as I sat him back down.  I looked at him, and I have a great feeling he’ll look just like Aaron when he gets older.