This is Going Too Far

My heart sank. I didn’t want him to hear that. Lea needs to keep her mouth shut. She’s too loud. Aaron’s face played many emotions. I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t say anything. What was I supposed to say to him? He just heard me admit my feelings for him, he should speak. And he did, “Do you mean it?” he asked. His lips went into a hard line.

I took a deep breath, “Can we talk about this later?”

“No, I want to talk now. Why keep that from me?”

“Aaron, don’t. Don’t make this more complicated than it already is”

“Jenny, you’re the only one making it complicated. Admitting my feelings for you is probably the hardest thing I think I’ve ever had to do. Why did you tell me you just want to be friends, when you don’t?”

I tried to speak, “Aaron—”

“No, it’s my turn to speak. I risked my friendship with your brother, telling him I had feelings for you. He was about to rip my throat out. You keep me hanging on, and right now, I’m about to say the hell with you. I know I’m not perfect, and I’ve made mistakes in my life. Who doesn’t? You said so yourself. I know you think about me, and I know you dream about me—”

I held up my hand, “Wait—what? How do you know I dream about you?”

He smiled, “You mumble my name in your sleep all the time.”

I puffed up my cheeks and breathed, “Can you meet me in the park at sunset?” I whispered.

He hesitated before he nodded.

“Thanks,” I muttered and turned back to the room Lea had dragged me into.

This is good, right? I am going to talk to Aaron tonight, and get everything in place, and where it needs to be. Even if we aren’t together. Even if I want us to be together. I can’t tell him that. I can’t promise him I’ll break up with Kale, just to be with him. I wouldn’t be able to live that one down. And I’m not using Kale, to make Aaron jealous. Kale actually cares about me, and made his move. Aaron is only mad because Kale beat him to it. That’s what he meant by Kale stole from him. Aaron stole from me too. I was nervous being alone with him now. I was afraid of getting rejected. I know he wouldn’t reject me like I rejected him. I treated him really bad that night. I called him a liar and whatnot. He didn’t deserve that. I don’t want him to think he has to wait for me. I can’t keep my promises to him. One wrong move and everything goes wrong.

I talked to Lea for hours. I didn’t know which way to turn. I never thought I would be stuck in this situation. Talk about a love triangle from hell. I’m scared if I say something wrong to Aaron, he will never talk to me again. I would rather have him in my life, than not at all. He is my best friend next to Lea. Except we share more. Aaron and I have been through a lot more than I have told. Some thing’s I can’t talk about. It’s scarring memories from my childhood. Things only Aaron knows. And there are things I only know about Aaron. Things I refuse to repeat to others. Aaron keeps my secrets, and I keep his. Aaron’s the only one that doesn’t judge me from my past mistakes or events that happened. He likes me for the person I am, and I like part of the person he is. But when you love someone, you got to love it all, right? I try so hard to find the good in people, I overlook their flaws. That sounds like me.

Kale and I took a walk, and I talked to him as well. I finally got to know him more. I was happy I got to find out so many things about him. When we got back to the house, the only thing you heard was the TV. We walked in the living room, and it was empty. We figured everyone was on the dock. While Kale went ahead, I realized my bladder was about to bust, so I decided to take a detour to the bathroom. The door was closed, but I heard nothing on the other side, so I opened it without knocking. The sight I was now seeing was a sight I never thought I would ever see. “Lea? Hayden? What the hell?” I blurted. I was thinking out loud. I can’t believe Hayden and Lea were actually touching. Not to mention they were touching lips.