We Don't Talk Anymore

The cold was intensely bothersome.

Jungkook huffed, shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat. He watched his breath vanish quickly as it became one with the atmosphere. Trudging on the snow, his whole environment stayed serene and silent; overpowered by the sound of his shoes crackling on ice and his thoughts swarming in his head.

For the past months, he has been stressing over the end of high school. Although he knew what course he was going to take, naturally inclined to the family business, Jungkook had a hard time studying for it and maintaining his grades at school. He had to put extra effort since he wasn't great at it either. Applying the discipline his father taught him, Jungkook forced himself to face his current life and push away his thoughts about you—

—Jungkook forced himself to leave his past.

However, at times where the cold is infuriating, all memories concerning you resurface in Jungkook's mind and heart. Even with such distance, he still loved you. Even if he knew that it would be best if he didn't, he still loved you.

Jungkook craved the warmth you emitted and the instant tug on his heartstrings when you would wrap your scarf around him since he always forgot his. As he walked on the snow during Christmas of 2014, his mind immediately time traveled to Christmas of 2005; when he professed his intention of marrying you.

With his own words echoing in his head, he physically felt his cheeks grow hot as the tip of his nose reddened in bashfulness. He wondered if you could still remember that night, when you looked like the whole world to him. Eyes turning glossy, Jungkook dismissed his own inquiry.

Even if you did remember, it was best that you didn't.

"Jungkook? What are you doing outside, darling?"

Instantly breaking his train of thought, Jungkook looked up to see his mother. She had a confused but concerned look on her face. He walked up the porch, removing his shoes before entering their home.

"Just went out for a walk. I'll go upstairs now." he timidly said, sounding a little morose.

"The guests are wondering where you've wandered off to. Is there something wrong?"

Of course, his mother already knew that there was. Her concerned gaze deepened, taking a step towards Jungkook. She softly patted her son's hair as Jungkook avoided her eyes. Heaving a soft sigh, he shook his head in response.

"I'm just feeling sleepy." he lied as he feigned a yawn.

"Hmm, it is pretty late. Rest up, okay? Good night, son." his mother said sweetly, patting his back.

"Good night, mom." Jungkook answered politely, smiling one last time before climbing up their grand staircase.

After changing into comfortable clothes, Jungkook flopped down on his bed. He heard a sudden buzz from his vibrating phone on the side table as he was face down on his pillow. Groaning, he lazily reached out without looking up; knocking over an object sitting on his bedside table.

Jungkook sighed, getting up once again. He snatched his phone and immediately checked who was calling.

"Jin-hyung..." it read on the screen.

"What's up, hyung?" he answered, sitting on his bed.

"Nice to know you're still alive! You haven't answered the group chat in ages!" Jin exclaimed over the phone, instantly putting a smile on Jungkook's face.

"I have you guys on mute." Jungkook decided to tease him, knowing that the older one will actually bite into his bait.

"You brat! We just want to wish you happy holidays,"