Lost Stars

"'Can Asians Think?' by Kishore Mahbubani."

Your lips instantly curled into a smile.

At the sound of a familiar sweet voice ringing in your ears, you compared yourself to an atom losing electrons and eventually, evolving into an ion— charged and full of energy. You lifted your gaze up from the book you were reading, meeting Jimin's signature eye-smile. He seemed to be heading out to practice in the dance studio, dressed in gray sweatpants and a dark green jacket over a white tee.

"What time are you tutoring Jungkook today?" Jimin kept his voice low, matching the roaring silence emanated by the central library.

He quietly sat in front of you in the Humanities section, towered over by rows of wooden bookshelves.

"Hmm, in about... an hour from now. I'm just finishing a few readings for my major." you whispered, "How about you? Dance practice?" Jimin nodded his head with a small smile on his face, scooting forward to hear your hushed voice.

"Have you eaten lunch already? You always tell me to take care but do you take care of yourself?" you continued with a playful look as you zipped up your pencil case.

"I did." Jimin's grin broadened, his eyes softening in endearment.

Mellow thuds could be heard in the background, probably by the books getting arranged near the librarian's desk. The tables were filled with students studying as the season for exams approached drastically. Not exempted to such, you took out your bookmark adorned with a paper cut-out of a monarch butterfly, placing it between the soft pages of the book required to be reviewed.

"You're using the bookmark I gave you!" Jimin exclaimed quietly, undoubtedly with the same ample amount of enthusiasm if he wasn't whispering.

"Of course, I love it!"

You saw Jimin's eyes glint in excitement. Reaching out for his pocket, he took out a brand new stack of post-it notes, shaped like a head of a cartoonish yellow duckling.

"I got this for you while I was in Myeong-dong. You use post-its for the notes on your readings, right?" he softly uttered, placing the tiny gift in front of you. Your mouth gaped animatedly, taking it in your hands.

"For me? Really?!" you said in disbelief.

Given your elation, you forgot that you were supposed to whisper and ended up earning a few piercing stares from the other students trying to concentrate.

"I'm sorry," you quickly muttered, repeatedly bowing your head with an embarrassed smile on your face.

Jimin combed his fingers through his hair out of habit, proceeding to cover his mouth as he muffled his giggles. You matched his amused smile, mouthing an inaudible, "Thank you." as the lightest of pinks blossomed at your cheeks.

"Let's go?"

You nodded your head, grabbing your bag and walking out of the library. The sky was flecked with enormous cotton-like clouds that moved like schools of fish across the blue sea, comforting you out of the demands of college life.

"The sky is beautiful." Jimin spoke beside you, eyes beaming in awe.

Strolling steadily on the sidewalk, you looked up at him.

"Hey, I'm really thankful," your voice sounded extremely quiet, "For the post-its. You always give me these gifts and honestly, I feel guilty sometimes that I can't return the favor."

Jimin halted on his tracks, turning his back on the extensive grass of Korea University's central park to face you.

"You don't have to buy me gifts too." he started, "I just like seeing you happy." A confident and genuine smile played on Jimin's lips, his gaze soldered into yours.