Moon

"No!"

You heard the alarm for breakfast run off, keeping your eyes shut tightly even though you were awake as day. Groaning in annoyance, you covered your ears as you felt everyone stand up on their feet already.

"[Y/N], wake up already. You're going to be late." the care-taker said before you heard her footsteps fleet the long hallway filled with beds. It wasn't the first time that you dreaded having your bed closest to the entrance of the hall.

Laying in bed for a few more minutes, you heard your name in a conversation between other girls before you dared to take a quick peek.

"[Y/N], you've got mail."

Your eyes quickly shot wide open as you scrambled out of your thin covers. Jieun, an older girl whom you knew was going to get adopted the following week, giggled at how you almost fell from your bed. You felt excitement rush through your veins as she gave you the classic white envelope.

"Thank you. I almost forgot." you said, your eyes twinkling in delight.

"You know lover boy is consistent with his letters. Poor Jungkookie... head-over-heels for his best friend." Jieun teased, chuckling at how you glared at her.

"He is not in love with me!" you exclaimed, adding a punctuation to each word.

It only made Jieun laugh more, shrugging playfully. "Whatever, [Y/N]. He clearly has a moon-sized crush on you since forever."

Shaking your head, you proceeded to give her a playful shove. "No!" you made your way out of the hallway to get ready for school, Jieun's teasing fading out down the hall. As you prepared, you couldn't get her words off your head; making your heart flutter a little.

It was very hopeless of you.

Deep down, even if you insisted otherwise, you hoped that Jungkook felt the same way as you did. It's almost been a year since you last saw him leave, keeping in touch through letters and pictures. Both of you already entered your first year of being a teen and your feelings just kept on growing.

"[Y/N], hurry up! You might miss the bus down the stop with everyone!"

"I'll be there in a second!" you shouted back, clicking your tongue afterwards.

You quickly put Jungkook's letter in your bag, dashing out of the dormitory hall to avoid missing the bus to your highschool.

High school started off like a rollercoaster. All of the excitement and adrenaline were there; but also laced with fear and dread. It was your first time attending school outside of the orphanage compound, and for the past months you've been there, you struggled with making friends in the process of maturing.

Even inside the orphanage, you weren't able to establish strong bonds with many people. As a child, you unconsciously avoided getting attached to people with the fear of experiencing too many heartbreaks. To you, Jungkook was the only friend you needed.

"I made it!" you whispered to yourself when you noticed that the teacher hadn't arrived.

Chasing your breath from running to miss the tardy slip, you sat on your designated seat; invisible to the rest of your classmates who already had established cliques since elementary. You opened Jungkook's letter, smiling to yourself.

Dear [Y/N],

Summer just passed us and winter's approaching again. Did you notice how the sun sets earlier? I miss watching it with you on that old sofa of ours. Knowing Busan, it can get chilly so wear something warm. I don't want you catching a cold. You look like Rudolph more than Rudolph looks like himself when you do! :P ...