Butterfly

"You're assigned for this one today,"

A gust of humid wind blew past you as you stood beside Jungkook in front of the cook. He gave you a huge basket and a list of the needed items in the kitchen. Reading with squinted eyes, Jungkook gripped the basket with his right hand while you gripped with your left. The cook almost forgot to give you money, rummaging through his huge jean-pocket.

"We'll go now, then," you said with a smile, walking side-by-side with Jungkook.

"Only buy the things on the list! You'll get in big trouble if the receipt didn't match with the change!"

You and Jungkook giggled, acting as if you were really thinking about using the money for your own benefit. Proceeding to walk towards the black gate of the orphanage, you loudly recited each item to be bought at the market. "Twelve eggs, one cabbage, one bottle of vegetable oil..." Jungkook had a small smile on his face, nodding at each item you continued to say.

By the age of eleven, your daily chores extended outside of the orphanage. They would assign light shopping duties, teaching you the basics of monetary transaction. You and Jungkook enjoyed it extensively, ecstatic about the independence fueled by your naïve innocence.

Enjoying the emancipating feeling, Jungkook melodiously hummed a soft tune that matched the calming summer atmosphere.

"What song is that?" you asked as the tune ended. He smiled sheepishly, looking back at you. "I just... made that one," he said.

Your eyes lit up in bewilderment. "That's so cool, Koo! I bet you'll be an amazing singer and composer one day!" you exclaimed as you walked through the houses. Jungkook smiled, heat rushing up to his cheeks.

The briny smell of the sea hit you as you neared the market. Looking over to your right, you could see the sea hiding behind the coastline, the fences, the road, and some houses. Jungkook's eyes sparkled in delight, his lips curling into a tiny smile.

"You wanna pass by the beach later? We can't enter though; we're just gonna stay by the fence." you asked, eyeing the beach.

"Sure. The market is by that side anyway."

You smiled at Jungkook as you lightly swung the empty basket. By the time you reached the market, you immediately started buying the ingredients you needed. You wanted to minimize your time in it so that you could go to the beach without the caretakers wondering what took both of you so long.

"Three onions, please," you said. The vendor started weighing the onions as you looked for the money in your pocket. Realizing that it wasn't with you, you turned to your best friend.

"Jungkook—"

He completely spaced out, eyes wide as he stayed looking at one direction. You instantly recognized his gaze as an observant one, following his stare. As your eyes landed on a mother and her son, you felt a familiar ache stir within your chest. Jungkook and you watched attentively, silently yearning for a family.

"Hey."

You jolted at the same time, looking back at the vendor with doe-like eyes. Jungkook immediately reached for the money in his old short-pocket, counting carefully. After the purchase, both of you bowed politely and quickly left the market. Stepping outside, the beach came into view.

"Let's go!" Jungkook exclaimed excitedly as you briskly walked by the fence separating the sand and the road.

You placed the basket down, standing side-by-side behind the fence of the beach. Taking a deep breath, you basked in tranquility. The sound of the waves echoed through your systems, giving you some sense of peace. Jungkook held on to the fence, inhaling deeply. You watched his eyebrows furrow down as he stared past the horizon.

"You good?" you asked him, turning away from the scenery before you.

Heaving a deep sigh, Jungkook's gaze shift to a melancholic one. "I just... remembered my mother from before," he uttered quietly and softly.

Your eyes softened, feeling the gust of wind blow past you. Listening to Jungkook, you felt the throbbing pain in your chest once more.

"I-I know I told you this before but I think, I'll never forget the day she left me. I just t-turned four by then and—"

Jungkook broke into a sob, his tears cascading down his cheeks. He quickly wiped them with the back of his hand, sniffling. Without thinking twice, you wrapped your arms around him. You didn't say anything, cradling his head to lean onto yours. He was tensed and in distraught, sobbing quietly in your embrace.

"I-I'm scared— I'm scared to g-go through that again—" Jungkook croaked in between sobs, his quivering voice sending waves of desolation to your heart.

Tears started to prick your eyes as well, sharing the same kind of pain that, you knew, won't go away. At times, even if it happened a long time ago, it would resurface and immobilize your whole day; as it slowly eats its way to an abandoned one's heart and mind.

You knew this kind of pain made Jungkook feel empty. When they left, it felt like they took his heart with them. And, you knew, this kind of pain, was common within the abandoned ones.

"I'm here, Jungkook," you cried, snuggling into his side even more, "I'm here for you."

Jungkook heaved deep breaths, his tears coming to a halt. Sniffling, he put a hand on your arm, caressing it with his thumb. He closed his eyes, finding solace in your presence. He noticed how he also made you emotional, making him heave a sigh.

"I'm sorry—"

"Don't apologize, Koo. You know this," you softly said as your sniffles died down.

He stayed in your arms for a while, gazing at the blue sky then to the sea. His thoughts and emotions were still a mess; but having you comfort him had his heart fluttering in his chest. Slowly turning to you, he smiled a little lopsidedly. You reciprocated his tiny smile, meeting his eyes.

"I'm here for you, Jungkook; always." you repeated with a sincere look.

Jungkook's gaze melted into a soft one as his smile became bigger. He was caught captive by the way you stare, filled with raw honesty and love. As seconds passed by, you were the only one in his sight; and Jungkook's thoughts sublimely crashed against each other.

"I love you, [Y/N]."

It was a slip, and at sporadic times that he'd admit this, he'd say it truly is. However, the moment he said your name, Jungkook felt like he swallowed butterflies, fluttering their wings in his stomach. Heat rose to his cheeks, tinting them pink. He felt immensely coy, shocked by his own words.

You were shocked too, turning beet red at his statement. Although it wasn't the first time he said it to you, vocally expressing affection was still, quite flabbergasting. Nonetheless, you tightened your embrace and smiled once more.

"I love you too." you whispered.

Jungkook closed his eyes, smiling to himself. The butterflies flitted their wings in his stomach; and amidst the regular feeling of emptiness, you made him feel full.