Promise

"I'll order an espresso, please."

Jimin eyed your form carefully. He took in the dark circles under your eyes, pale lips, and disheveled hair. It was really early in the morning and even if you always looked like you weren't getting any rest, you appeared worse this time. Looking down, you fished your small and old coin purse from your pocket, unfolding the bills inside.

"No need to pay. It's on me," he told you nonchalantly to not scare you off. Jimin knew you were experiencing challenging times; and although he was concerned, he didn't want to force you to tell him about it.

"Well, who am I to refuse free food?" you giggled jokingly.

Jimin chuckled along with you as he started dosing the coffee for your espresso. Your expression dropped when you realized he took you seriously.

"Wait— Jimin, I'm kidding! Please take my money!" you pleaded, eyes wide and eyebrows furrowed.

Laughter rang out of Jimin's plump limps as he gave you an amused look. His eyes turned into crescents while giving you a dazzling smile. At that moment, you felt enchanted by Jimin's happiness that you began feeling at ease.

"Well, I'm serious. This is my treat." he stated, "Do you want anything else?"

You could only blush at his sincere gesture. Putting a finger to your chin, you animatedly thought about anything while trying to conceal your growing diffidence.

"Hmm, I'll have one Monte Cristo sandwich but please let me pay for it this time." you said, taking out your money again.

"[Y/N]," he started in a soft but serious tone, "I won't take your money."

Even if it was fun to tease and bicker with Jimin sometimes, there was no arguing with his stubbornness. Your lips jutted out playfully as you begged him with your eyes. He laughed at you once more, shaking his head while tamping the coffee beans.

"Is this your breakfast?" Jimin asked.

You hummed in response, nodding your head. Moving over to the display case, you took your sandwich out.

"I thought I was running late since I overslept." you sighed, noticing your cluttered appearance on the glass. Cheeks turning pink again, you began to comb through your hair and fix your apron. "— worked a little overtime last night." you admitted, putting emphasis on 'a little.'

After your shift at Cafe Magnate, you would rush over to another restaurant to continue your work as a dishwasher during their dinner service. Jimin noticed how you were always in a hurry and found out through his parents that you were working two jobs.

You sheepishly smiled at Jimin when you noticed the mood starting to shift slowly.

"Good thing we're only starting with a few customers today." Jimin decided to note, instead of prying more. He was curious why you needed to work as much, placing your espresso on the counter.

"Thank you." you said, indulging in the sweet aroma of your coffee.

Jimin glanced at you, the deep feeling of utter concern and curiosity plaguing his gut.

The feeling never left; and would only foster once he saw you again that night at the bus stop where you first met.

"Oh? Jimin?"

A gust of wind blew past Jimin's chestnut hair as he walked over to your side. Sitting on the bench at the bus stop, you watched him snuggle further into his huge coat.

"I bought some groceries. Did you just finish work? It's quite late already," he said, concern lacing his gaze.

The moon illuminated the deep and cold December night. Jimin momentarily looked up the sky before staring back at you.

"Yeah," you sighed, clearly tired from working during the winter. It was always harder to work in the cold; wishing that you could just lay in bed. "I kinda worked overtime." you continued, rubbing your palms together. "...again."

Your hands were freezing as the temperature continued to drop. Jimin pouted at your statement, his concerned gaze deepening. You stared back at him as a laugh escaped your lips. His expression was adorable.

"[Y/N], I'm worried about you."

You froze on your seat, eyes widening and breathing coming to a short halt. It was rare enough that someone was talking to you; but to have someone show they care and that they worry about you; completely sent your mind into haywire. Lips parted, you drowned in Jimin's irises as he continued to take you in.

"I think you should take breaks too." he added, soft like a whisper. He found your reaction bizarre, instantly registering that anyone barely told you to rest.

"No." you quickly answered, diverting your gaze away from him.

Snapping back to your senses, your mind came to a quick solution of defense.

"Please don't worry about me. I can handle myself." you coldly said, staring down and hard on your lap.

Jimin's expression softened even more as the silence between you two began to echo loudly. It wasn't your intention to push him away; but it became an impulse to protect yourself from hurting. Letting people in your life was a chance for them to walk away on you again; and for someone, who only had their self for years, trust was anything but easy.

The atmosphere continued to grow frigid. You cupped your hands and brought them to your lips, trying to warm them by blowing air since you forgot to bring gloves with you.

Suddenly, Jimin offered his gloved hands for you to take. Meeting his eyes, you slowly turned your body on your seat to fully face him. There you were, reflected in his gaze as his sole cynosure. He was desperate in trying to reach you; and yet you felt no pressure. Taking a deep breath, you hesitantly placed both of your hands in his.

Jimin enclosed his hands over yours, rubbing on them gently. Even though he was warming up your hands, you could feel the heat on your face as you turned coy. Looking down, you let out a giggle when you noticed how small and adorable his hands were.

The tension ploddingly dissipated as both of you shared tiny smiles on your faces. Jimin held you like you were delicate; afraid that you might wither away.

"I know you can handle yourself." he let out softly, catching your stare for the nth time, "You're right." he reassured you.

"But I'll be here."

A tear cascaded down to your chin. His words were simple, and yet you felt like succumbing into his arms. Your heart skipped a beat before melting like soft butter on a hot toast. Doubt crept in your mind; but as if Jimin could hear your thoughts, he took your pinky in his.

"I promise."