Chapter 13

Riley tried to be interested in the game. She really did. But her mind kept drifting back to the events that happened only an hour ago. Seeing her father in Dauntless sent her spiraling, but hiding in Eric's apartment was mortifying.

Out of all the doors she could have opened. It had to be his. He didn't yell at her as she expected, and he even walked her to the train. At first, she was sure it was a joke, but she was wrong. Eric was kind to her, even zipping up her vest to keep her safe. Riley couldn't understand why he acted so different with her but was too afraid to ask. "Riley," the voice belonged to her brother. "Stay focused."

"Sorry, T-" his name nearly fell from her mouth. "Four."

He raised an eyebrow, questing if she was alright without speaking. She gave him a weak nod. Their team was split into two groups, thanks to Tris, who spotted their vibrant flag in the tower. Riley was near her brother, and Tris was on his other side. Her body was hunched over as they all walked in a huddle towards the tower. "I can see them," Edward called out when he spotted Al looking over the wall on the opposite side.

"Go," Will shouted. She was in the group going for the flag while the other half went after Eric.

Suddenly, flares were thrown at them, a tactic to allow Eric's team to see them better. The darts began flying from the other side. "Stay with me," Four spoke to the small group. They slowly started migrating in between the boxes, yet to be seen by the others. Once they were steady, he glanced at Tris. "Go."

"Come on, Christina." The two girls began traveling towards the tower. Riley was tasked with staying by Four's side to cover him.

"Get them," Eric's voice roared over the group. She couldn't tell how far away he was.

"You good," Four was the only one by her. Their team was now split into pairs.

"Yeah," Riley had her back pressed into the metal crates.

"Good. Cover me." She moved onto her knees and set the gun on top of the box. As Four ran forward, she shot at anyone near him. It took him only a few seconds to get to the other side. "Riley, come on." Four lifted his gun to cover her. Riley shifted back to her feet and began shuffling towards him.

"Okay." Once on by his side, they ran across the gravel path towards another box. Riley raised her gun as Meg turned the corner, firing two shots straight into her leg.

Meanwhile, Four had pushed forward. He grabbed the barrel of Mike's gun. There was someone with him, and Four used his body as a shield to protect himself. "Stay down," Four leaned back into the metal frame. He held his gun in front of him as he waited.

Riley watched as he moved ahead to shoot but was nearly hit in the face by the other person. Suddenly, an idea formed in her head. She waved her hand at Four, catching his attention. Using her hands, she gestured to him, signaling she would go around and get them from the other side. He nodded.

Being as quiet as possible, she stayed close to the ground and crawled around the box to get the person. But she was only able to take one step around the back when she heard a pained groan. It didn't sound like Four, and she relaxed. Rounding the corner with her gun up, her eyes found Eric on the ground. He had been hit by two darts, one in the leg and the other in the chest.

Four stood above him, his gun still aimed at him. Riley looked up but noticed an approaching blond man. It was Edward. He raised his weapon to shoot Four, but luckily Riley detected him. "Four," she called out. Without wasting any time, she pulled the trigger twice. The first dart missed, but the second hit him in the thigh.

"Ah," Edward cried out, dropping to the ground.

Four turned to the man, a smirk appearing on his face. "Nice timing."