Chapter 58

Tonight is the hardest night Riley has ever experienced. Tris is dead. She was never coming back. Living with that would not be easy, but it's what she had to do.

Riley stands in the room shirtless. She's wearing a black bra. Slowly, she peels off the bandage on her stomach. There's a scar that starts between her breasts and curves underneath one before traveling down a few inches. A piece of metal had lodged itself in her chest and pierced her lung. That was nearly a week ago.

She would never be the same, but that didn't bother her. It was a small price to pay for the freedom they acquired today. Tris gave her life for this. Riley would happily live with a few issues.

It seemed like Johanna would take over. That was okay with her. Johanna would make a good leader. Riley was looking forward to seeing Maddie again.

She grabs a bandage, but her hands are shaking too badly. She can't put it on. "Hey," a voice said. She spun around to see Eric. 

"Hey."

He walks into the room. "You okay?"

"No." It's her truthful answer. "Are you?"

"No."

Riley eyes the bandage wrapped around his head. "What happened?"

Eric sighed, "they knew what I was doing. I don't know how." She listens carefully. He seems stressed. "They wanted to use some serum on me to give up the plan, but I knocked myself out." Her lips part. "I'm not serum resistant like you." A smile slowly creeps on her face. Eric had done the right thing and helped them. "Why are you smiling?"

"The old Eric would have given us up without a moment's hesitation." He knew that was true. "I knew there was good in you."

His eyes narrow. "Don't push it."

"Being good isn't a bad thing," she says. "I thought that was something you liked about me?" Eric remains silent.

Suddenly, everything that happens reappearance in her mind. The smile on her face is long gone. "You healing okay?"

Riley glances down at the scar. "I'm having some trouble with the new bandage. My hands-"

"I got it." Eric walks towards her. He takes the bandage from her hand. His actions are gentle—careful not to hurt her further. "Does it hurt?"

"No," she says. "Dr. Carson gave me some more of his fancy medication." It didn't hurt at all.

He chuckles, "good." Eric's fingers skim over the bandage. This feels oddly familiar. Not too long ago, Riley was thrown over the bridge back in Dauntless. He had been there to catch her and patched her injuries. Eric never imagined they would end up here. "I'm sorry about Tris."

She looks up at him. "It's okay." It wasn't okay, but it had to be.

"Are you going back to the city?"

"Yeah." Riley knew that was where she was meant to be.

"Okay," he said. "When?"

"Probably tomorrow." There was a meeting she wanted to attend. It didn't matter when the others would return. Or if they would. Riley had to think selfishly for a change.

"I'm coming with."

Riley tilted her head back. "No." Eric was technically a criminal. If Johanna took power, he would most likely be imprisoned. However, there was a chance he could be executed. "If Johanna takes power, you'll be imprisoned or executed."

"I know."

"Then why would you want to go back?"

"Because I have no place here." Eric felt vulnerable. "At least there I can pay for my crimes instead of cowering away here." Riley can't pretend she doesn't understand. "I want to go back. I want to be where you are."