Chapter 14

The group had managed to get past the first round of cuts. Riley couldn't believe how high on the leaderboard she scored. The same went for Christina. After Eric made her hang of the ledge, the girl was convinced she would be at the bottom.

Tris was the same way. After scoring spot twenty, Tris knew she would have to step up. Now, they were at some location helping Amity with supplies. Riley seemed to be one of the few people who didn't mind the work. It was partly relaxing and a good distraction from everything. Her friends were starting to question her about Eric. Riley didn't know how to answer them because she still had no idea what was going on. It was a mystery to her.

Eric was different around her, almost kind. It didn't make any sense to her. Unless he pitied her or possibly knew she was related to Four. They were roughly the same age. Whatever the reason was, it didn't matter right now. Riley only wanted to focus on her task, which was catching bags that Al and Will tossed her.

Christina was beside her, the two marching back and forth with bags in their hands. "So we finally make it past the first stage, and this is our reward. How nice."

Riley chuckled and tossed the bag into Edwards's arms. "Could be worse."

"How," Christina heaved, tossing her own bag into the truck.

"It could be combat."

Christina paused, "you're right." Riley took the bag from Al's arms, not noticing the way his fingers touched hers. She glanced over her shoulder and looked through the crowd at the two men supervising them, Four and Eric. She hated herself the moment she did. She couldn't understand why she always looked for Eric. But she did, every time. "What's going on in that head of yours, Riles?" Al had handed her the final bag and walked beside her as she went to throw it into the truck.

"Nothing interesting." But that wasn't entirely true.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Tris, your turn." The next stage of training seemed to be managed by Four. Riley watched as she entered the room with him. Her heart was racing with fear and nerves. The next stage of training wasn't entirely clear, but after watching three initiates get carried out, she began to worry.

"I'm nervous," Riley whispered to her closest friend.

"Me too," Christina moved closer. "I have no idea what's going on in that room."

"Neither do I."

Riley leaned back into her chair and looked at the people across from her. The remaining twenty-one initiates were divided by females and males. Over half of them had already gone through the first stage of their mental training. Al turned his head away from Will and observed Riley. He noticed her trembling hands and waved at her, getting her attention easily. He mouthed the word breathe and took a deep breath. She smiled and followed his actions.

Riley thought it was kind of him to want help when he had his own worries to focus on. "So," Christina winked at Will before looking at her friend. Her voice was faint, almost a whisper. "Al's nice."

"Hm," Riley tilted her head. "Oh, yeah. He is."

Christina smirked, "you guys are getting pretty close."

Riley didn't understand the line of questioning and wanted to change the topic. "I could say the same about you and Will."

"Ha." Christina pointed at her, "you're really good at dodging topics."

"Thank you," she faked happiness. Christina didn't push any more on the topic, but Riley still wondered why she brought it up. She and Al were friends, quite good friends in her opinion. But that was all.