Chapter 33

Riley couldn't sleep that night. Christina had luckily found it in her to believe Riley and trusted her enough to cry on her shoulder over the death of Will. It was hard to watch, but Christina needed her. She let her friend cry for hours. Eventually, Christina got tired, and Riley helped her to bed. But that was hours ago, and still, she was awake in her bed.

Tris had been MIA since their trials ended. Not that anyone could blame her. She admitted to killing her friend in front of everyone. In front of Christina. Riley still couldn't believe Tris hadn't told her but trusted there was a reason.

It was late into the night, and Riley found herself roaming the halls of Candor. The building was truly unique and perfectly clean. She held a drawing in her hand, one of her and Maddie. Riley missed the young girl dearly but knew she was safer with her away. Still, in their five days together Riley grew attached.

The peaceful walk she had was interrupted by gunshots. The girl reacted quickly, ducking behind a ledge. There was shouting, followed by more gunshots. Unfortunately, Jack took all their weapons from them. Although they were found innocent, he didn't trust them with weapons. At the time it seemed wise, but now Riley wished she had a gun. "Round them up," the voice belonged to Max. "Bring them in here."

Riley glanced out from behind the pillar. Max walked out dragging a handcuffed Uriah. He was followed by Eric, who was dragging Tris. The sight of the Dauntless man she cared for caused Riley's body to tremble. He was here, at Candor. Taking a deep breath, she moved back behind the pillar. However, a gun pressed into her back. "Don't move."

"Wasn't planning to," Riley whispered slowly raising her hands.

"I don't need to shoot you to know you're Divergent." The man who Riley noticed was Brian shoved her against the pillar. "Did you miss me, Princess?" He tightly tied her hands together and ignored her as she grunted in pain. "Does that hurt? Too bad."

"You're such an ass."

"Yeah, well," he tugged her against his chest. "Shouldn't have broken my nose."

Riley snorted, "I broke your nose?"

Brian huffed, hauling her off the column and forcing her down the hallway. Her heart started racing in her chest as they headed towards the room Eric was in. Her heels dug into the floor, stopping her. "Can you just make this easy?"

"Where's the fun in that?"

Brian was stronger than her and forced Riley into the room. Eric stood by the windows, holding a gun to a man's head. "I got one more for you." He did a double-take seeing the Eaton girl standing in front of him.

"Riley," Tris spoke at the sight of her.

Eric slowly lowered the gun, putting it back in his pocket. Max squinted at him, noticing his actions. "Scan her."

"Just put her in line," Eric nodded to the other side of the room.

"No," Max kept his stare on the man. "Scan her next." Riley knew by the look on Max's face that he was challenging him. Eric turned towards Brian, nodding for him to set Riley in front of him.

Tris's back straightened as her friend was ushered past her and towards Eric. Brian roughly forced her to the ground. "Be careful," Tris turned to look at Eric. Riley knew that Tobias had most likely told her everything. "Please," her plea was full of pain. "She was shot twice." 

Eric's eyes scanned over her figure. A shirt covered her stomach, but her arm was visible. There was a white bandage over one of the bullet wounds. "We don't care," Max snapped. "Scan her."

Riley stared at Eric. Her heart was racing. There was no way he would let her walk out of here. Not with the way Max was pushing him. The man took a deep breath, lifting the item in his hand to scan her. "Divergent, eighty percent."