Chapter 7

When you returned to sleep, no dreams invaded your space. With all your might, you wished to pass it off as a mere lucid dream and nothing more. However, the way Demiurge acted would lead you to believe otherwise.

He was defensive, as though someone or...something intruded in your dream world...

You knew of succubus and incubus demons, but you never assumed they would be so intent to harm you from whatever distance they could be.

Demiurge remained beside you through the night. Demons didn't require sleep, but he was fine to mirror your actions to keep you comfortable and safe. Remaining in the bed, he kept his arm draped over you, his tail snaked about your leg to make sure you remained close. If he felt you move, he would no doubt wake.

It made you a bit anxious to just shift sides.

The sound of thunder bellowing in the distance caught your attention. Lifting your head up off of the pillow, you glanced beyond the balcony. It was there you saw the oncoming thunderstorm far to the east. It was at the mouth of the canyon that was still viewable from the castle.

"Worried of something?" Demiurge asked quietly.

His voice was a gentle and concerned hum. Regardless of him not needing sleep, it was impossible to feel like you didn't just wake him up. "Oh, uh... s-sorry. It was the storm, is all."

"Storm?" To him, it was a trivial matter. He turned his squinty sight towards the foot of the bed just as you were gazing to notice it. "Frightened of them, are you?"

"Not really." You shook your head. "I just don't like the loud, sudden sounds the thunder can cause at times is all."

"Well, the noise cannot hurt you, my dear." His finger twirled about the chain that dangled from the collar piece that was still bound about your neck. The touch of such moved to the metal restraint before caressing the underside of your jawline.

It was a sort of touch by him you never felt before. It was more... possessive. The way his fingers mutely moved about you were as though he was even reminding you that you were his and his alone.

Demons were said to be prideful. If the creature in your dream was a real demon reaching out to you, then Demiurge no doubt saw it as someone trying to take what was his. Either way, it was frightening to even imagine trying to sleep comfortably at this point.

"Just relax," he uttered, as if reading your mind. "It will be all right. I am here."

Lying back down, you tried to clear your mind. It was difficult. "D-Demiurge?"

"Mm?"

"Who... or do you know what was going on in my dream?" You were nervous to ask given how adamant he was to prevent you from speaking further of the man you saw.

The devil sighed, seemingly in frustration. "Leave him behind." The words were stern, wishing to drop the subject completely. For sure, you assumed the conversation to end, but Demiurge probed a bit. "He didn't tell you his name, did he?"

"No," you whispered.

"Then leave it be. He's not important."

"But you speak of him as though he's someone—."

Your name parted from his lips in a rather harsh and demanding manner, even if soft in tone. It made you recoil a bit. "Don't talk of it anymore for the night. Get some rest. If that vile creature shows up again, tell me." He breathed out a low, rumbling growl. "I'll deal with him personally, if I must."

Deal with an entity? You dared not focus on it any longer and went back to sleep for the remainder of the night.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*