Chapter 25

It was over.

At long last, Demiurge had returned.

Neither of you had the energy to go back to the desert sands right away. As dire as Demiurge was to return to his Circle, he had apparently everything under control by directing messages to his guards to calm them and his people down.

Del'tra had offered for you both to come back to her house to rest for the coming hours.

Gerdu on the other hand...

"I'll pay you what you're owed when I return to my Circle in the coming days. You have my word on that," Demiurge swore.

"Wish I could be paid in your word, my Lord," Gerdu sighed. "However, I can wait." He bowed. "Don't take too long, or I'll be forced to ask for your first born."

Even if he knew Gerdu was joking, it didn't stop the Demon King from grumbling. "Don't push your luck, merchant..."

He shook his head with a mocking laugh. "Even still you won't bother remembering my name, and after all I've done for you."

Demiurge's brow rested firmly against the rim of his glasses. "I will be in touch, Gerdu. For now, my mate and I need to rest."

The merchant shrugged, heading to his caravan to see himself off for the time being. "And you can keep the rings I offered your brother. I have no use for them. Consider it an early wedding gift or whatever you so wish." Once in his carriage, he waved goodbye.

With a snap of the reins, he signaled the horses onward.

A gentle mocking tone resonated in your words, "I thought you didn't need to sleep."

He stifled a hum in his throat. "It's been a very arduous road to this point, my dear. Besides, I still need more time to heal."

You frowned, worried for him as you forgot he did almost die in the earlier fight against his brother. "What happened back then when he nearly won...?"

Demiurge gently guided you towards Del'tra's house, tail flicking at the icy wind. "Mm, he used a spell that tore into my side. It was hard for me to move, let alone think, the pain was so blinding—it was like the teeth of a wild animal biting at my flesh and attempting to tear into my organs. Thankfully, Gerdu used a teleportation spell and whisked me away after Jaldabaoth attempted one last attack. I owe him more than a few measly gold pieces for saving my life and nursing me back to health."

You looked down at his attire, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. "I am guessing Belmertoh was the one to sew the tears for you?"

Del'tra opened the front door for you both, allowing you inside as Demiurge continued.

"No, he just made an entirely new outfit for me resembling my old one."

"It was far too gone, really," Belmertoh chimed in. "Besides, I don't mind assisting the Demon King as need be." Thinking back on Jaldabaoth, he sighed, rubbing the side of his neck. "I wonder what we're going to do now with his people... This isn't going to be an easy task in telling them they're leaderless."

Demiurge was silent for a moment, trying to think of what to do as well.

In reality, he would prefer the Circles join together under his rule instead of fighting to see him dethroned. Sadly, most demons had a lust for power, making that dream to remain as such for now.

"I'll talk with them," he insisted. "I know my brother possibly spread false truths about me, but I will do my best to sway who I can. If I find the number is far too large to take under my wing, I will merely appoint a new ruler in his place while the others can follow me back to my Circle."