Chapter 19

You weren't sure where to keep Gerdu's message. Knowing Jaldabaoth, he would find it and get furious there was a plotted uprising on his hands. The last thing you wanted was for Gerdu's hard work to be all for not. Even if you knew it wouldn't bring Demiurge back, you still wanted to be free of Jaldabaoth. Be free...and perhaps, return home...alone.

Alone?

Biting at your lower lip, you noted Nyala on the bed. She was watching you closely, confused why you went from so upset to calm once more. Her spade tail was swishing on the bed's covers.

You couldn't leave her. She would be abandoned again. But what could you do with a demon child in a human village? Nobody would take a liking to her. Not many humans saw demons as a welcoming species.

Nyala tilted her head, humming in a sort of way that showed she was upset or, perhaps, concerned about you.

Looking back down at the letter, you tore it up piece by piece before dropping it into the nearby brazier. "I'm sorry about that, sweetie," you apologized, joining her. "Come here."

She scurried to your side, resting against your body as her tail coiled about your arm.

You took in a deep breath, trying to steady your emotions. So many bombarded you at once, and it was hard to concentrate. "Things are going to be a bit different for a little while," you whispered to Nyala, situating her more into your lap. "I hope you'll be patient as I try to figure out a way to get out of here."

She was quiet, listening to your words rumble in your chest. Her hand gripped onto your dress, holding the fabric tightly. "Demiurge is...gone...isn't he?"

Hearing her ask such a thing made you flinch. Even if your dreams felt like a message of sorts, you still weren't sure if your minds were collectively playing on you or if it was a message from Demiurge who was still alive somewhere. You swallowed, hating the painful feel as you did so.

"I'm afraid...that may very well be so..." Having to confess that aloud made your tears blind you as your body curled protectively about her.

At this point, it truly did feel as though Nyala was all you had left. The world was cruel—whether it be a dream or reality in which you lived in it.

A field of flowers stretched for miles when you opened your eyes. It was a vast, open landscape that felt untouched by any soul spread across your dreams as you slept for the evening. Your fingertips touched upon each snapdragon flower you came across. Each one was far more beautiful than the last, and also varying in sizes.

It reminded you all the more that this was a dream of some sorts. No flower would be almost as tall as you.

Still, you calmed yourself, staying rooted within the dream. If there was any place you could feel safe and close to home, it was here. Sitting down within the field, you tried to find comfort in this place. In your mind, or rather, wherever your spirit wished to rest away from your body.

The wind began to blow ever gently, seeming to alert you somewhere within this space. Gazing to the north, you saw the mist-like barrier begin to loosen and Demiurge walked through it yet again.

It hurt to breathe. While you would give anything to have him stay in your dreams, it was painful to know it was only here you'd see him.

Demiurge came closer, sitting down beside you. His claws gently caressed your cheek to encourage you to look at him in return.

You shook your head. "Why must you tease me so? Is this real?"

Demiurge's smile weakened for a moment at that comment. "Where I am now, it is my only means of which to be with you." He tilted his head, thumb stroking your cheek. "Is that not enough?"